Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I make a call or receive one, I can't hear the person I speak to and he can't hear me

When I make a call or receive one, I can't hear the person I speak to and he can't hear me neither. I tried to use some apps but the sound I make is never recorded by the iPhone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 2:41 AM

Hello Sotai,

The issue can potentially be an issue with the iPhone microphone, or it can even be an issue with the microphone source being used with the iPhone. Example: iPhone is connecting to a bluetooth source vs. using the internal microphone on the iPhone itself. This could be a bluetooth headset, bluetooth speaker, or even a car stereo if you happen to be within range and the headset, speaker or stereo happen to be powered on. The iPhone is essentially being told to broadcast the audio from iPhone to one of those devices vs. using the internal Mic.

A quick way to isolate "Bluetooth" devices that might be using your iPhone at the time of the call. Do the following

• Go to Settings - Bluetooth - Turn this OFF for right now. Now try and make or even receive a phone call and see if the issue persists. If it does, this isolates the issue to the iPhone Mic itself.

• If your iPhone supports the ability to connect the headphones that came with the iPhone. Connect those headphones to the iPhone and see if you can record audio or conduct a phone call where someone can hear you. This will further isolate if the issue is with the internal microphone.

Assuming the headset works. Your next step would be to contact Apple Support and have them run a hardware diagnostic to see if it comes back reporting any issues. They can also advise additional steps to take before getting the iPhone setup for service options.

Two of the things you should do before contacting support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 2:41 AM in response to Sotai

Hello Sotai,

The issue can potentially be an issue with the iPhone microphone, or it can even be an issue with the microphone source being used with the iPhone. Example: iPhone is connecting to a bluetooth source vs. using the internal microphone on the iPhone itself. This could be a bluetooth headset, bluetooth speaker, or even a car stereo if you happen to be within range and the headset, speaker or stereo happen to be powered on. The iPhone is essentially being told to broadcast the audio from iPhone to one of those devices vs. using the internal Mic.

A quick way to isolate "Bluetooth" devices that might be using your iPhone at the time of the call. Do the following

• Go to Settings - Bluetooth - Turn this OFF for right now. Now try and make or even receive a phone call and see if the issue persists. If it does, this isolates the issue to the iPhone Mic itself.

• If your iPhone supports the ability to connect the headphones that came with the iPhone. Connect those headphones to the iPhone and see if you can record audio or conduct a phone call where someone can hear you. This will further isolate if the issue is with the internal microphone.

Assuming the headset works. Your next step would be to contact Apple Support and have them run a hardware diagnostic to see if it comes back reporting any issues. They can also advise additional steps to take before getting the iPhone setup for service options.

Two of the things you should do before contacting support.

When I make a call or receive one, I can't hear the person I speak to and he can't hear me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.