Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messaging from Contacts

When I select a contact and click on messaging within the contact, it takes me to messages and I have to select the icon with the paper/pencil which gives me a new message. I have to type in the person's name (autofill) for it fill TO:. Before this upgrade I was able to click within the contact on message and it would populate a new message with the contact information. How do I fix this?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 3:45 PM

Hello, teiemitchell.

Make sure to have a current backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then follow this article as a guide to reinstall your iOS without losing data: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Step #4 is important to choose "Update".

After the reinstall of iOS, check to see if this issue still persists, if it does, contact Apple Support.

Cheers!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2020 3:45 PM in response to teiemitchell

Hello, teiemitchell.

Make sure to have a current backup: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Then follow this article as a guide to reinstall your iOS without losing data: If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Step #4 is important to choose "Update".

After the reinstall of iOS, check to see if this issue still persists, if it does, contact Apple Support.

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2020 2:34 PM in response to teiemitchell

Hello, teiemitchell.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

From what I've read is that when using the Contacts app to open to messages, it doesn't open the thread but instead opens up the search bar to add a contact. I'd like to help.

Does this seem to happen with all contacts in the app or just one specifically?

I'd also check your Siri Search & Suggestions for contacts. Use this link as a reference: Siri Suggestions, Search & Privacy

If this is only happening with one contact, try deleting the conversation and start up a new one. If this is happening with multiple contacts, create a new contact and see if the same issue occurs. These steps can help us narrow down the issue.

Keep me updated.

Cheers!

Messaging from Contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.