Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling MacOs in SSD, Recovery mode

A few months ago I replaced the original hard drive in my macbook pro with an SSD, and recently I used recovery mode to erase all the data in the SSD and tried to reinstall mac os. But when trying to install the mac os, it doesn't show the SSD in the options for the os to intall into. Is there something I should do first?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 9:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 3:36 PM

Make sure to erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and either APFS for macOS 10.14+ or MacOS Extended (Journaled) for anything earlier. You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Quit Disk Utility and select "Reinstall macOS".

If this doesn't work, then please provide the exact model of the computer by entering your serial number here or here. Also provide the version of macOS you are installing. What was the version of macOS on the old drive? What is the make & model of the SSD?

The hard drive cable in the MBPro 13" (mid 2012) model has an extremely high rate of failure. If you have this model, then you should replace the cable.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 3:36 PM in response to Sid169

Make sure to erase the whole physical drive as GUID partition and either APFS for macOS 10.14+ or MacOS Extended (Journaled) for anything earlier. You may need to click on "View" within Disk Utility and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears in the left pane of Disk Utility. Quit Disk Utility and select "Reinstall macOS".

If this doesn't work, then please provide the exact model of the computer by entering your serial number here or here. Also provide the version of macOS you are installing. What was the version of macOS on the old drive? What is the make & model of the SSD?

The hard drive cable in the MBPro 13" (mid 2012) model has an extremely high rate of failure. If you have this model, then you should replace the cable.

Reinstalling MacOs in SSD, Recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.