Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter not working

Hello

I got my Ipad in 2017, few months ago I decided to buy a USB key with one side lightning connector. It needed an app to make it work. I tried for a month and nothing worked , bought many adapters.. ended up buy sending back the USB key to the seller.

Recently Apple updated the Ipad to make sure you could plug a usb key, which was great. So I bought the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to make sure I got everything 's apple!

Guess what ? it didn't work! I had a message (I used to have on the 2003 powermac G4 keyboard) "there isn't enough power to use that device". So I went to the shop and the seller tried it and got the same message.

It took a month before I can get a new one.. a brand new one and still the same message that I can't use this adapter on my ipad.

Anyone has the answer?

thank you

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 1:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 2:01 PM

With Lightning connector equipt iPads, you need that adapter because it has a power connection to power both the

iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSD drive.

You need to plug in an external power source like using your Apple Lightning cable and Apple power/charging block with that adapter.

Without the additional power to the iPad, USB flash drives and portable SSD drives will NOT work with older iPads with the Lightning connector.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives and SSDs.

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this fact.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2020 2:01 PM in response to FranOS9

With Lightning connector equipt iPads, you need that adapter because it has a power connection to power both the

iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSD drive.

You need to plug in an external power source like using your Apple Lightning cable and Apple power/charging block with that adapter.

Without the additional power to the iPad, USB flash drives and portable SSD drives will NOT work with older iPads with the Lightning connector.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives and SSDs.

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this fact.

Jan 4, 2020 5:18 AM in response to FranOS9

I'll post this all again.

You need to purchase the actual, genuine Apple Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter, from Apple, and plug that adapter into external power using your iPad charge cable and Apple power/charging block!

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2/lightning-to- usb-3-camera-adapter?fnode=37

You NEED TO PURCHASE THIS EXACT genuine Apple adapter above!!!

This is THE ONLY adapter that works!

Cheaper ( cheap in price and quality ) third party “knockoff” adapters WILL NOT WORK!!!!

With Lightning connector equipped iPads, you need this adapter as it has a Lightning connector power connection to power both the iPad and to connect a commonplace USB flash memory drive or portable SSD drive.

The Lightning connector alone cannot convey the,necessary power requirements needed for normal USB style flash memory drives.

YOU NEED TO CONNECT AN EXTERNAL POWER SOUCE TO THIS ADAPTER for that adapter to work with ANY externally connected drive!!! Even to get any standard USB flash memory drives to work on older Lightning connector equipped iPads.

Do you understand, now?

There are lots of YouTube videos that discuss and demonstrate this.

Jan 4, 2020 4:54 AM in response to MichelPM

Hello

Thank you for taking the time to answer me,

I wonder why the apple reseller didn't know that! I find this stupid but yeah I tried and the ipad updated the adapter.

While the shop didn't get the adapter they tried to sell me the usb one which I'm happy I didn't take!

Now I plug in the adapter I still can't have the use of the USB key nor the camera. I saw a video that shows it easily how it works by just plugin in...

My USB key lights up but nothing happens on the Ipad, no sign of the usb.

I think this is useless and expensive device.

Thank you

Jan 8, 2020 2:19 AM in response to MichelPM

Hello

Keep calm please .

The apple forum has changed many times due to people talking like you do!

Which word you don't understand?

"So I bought the Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter to make sure I got everything 's apple!"

There is nothing to win so stop filling up the threads with useless posts.

You first replied about the fact it needs to be plugged so I did and it worked. That answer was significant no need more.

Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.