Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently received an email saying my Apple ID was used overseas

Hey! So I recently received an email saying my Apple ID was used overseas, I have changed my password but I wanted to know if there is anything else I could do to protect my account?

thanks in advance :)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 3:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 4:14 AM

The email may have been a scam. You don't mention what device you received the email on.

I get lots of scam emails, some of which are scammers claiming to represent Apple.

If the email came through on a desktop, it's easy to find out where the email originated. All you need to do is click on the Apple address in the 'From' or 'Reply to' line. This will throw down a small window that will show the actual address that the email came from, like this:

This one I know to be from Apple, but one I received recently, actually came from a source in Russia.

You really need to be on the ball with emails as one false move can result in your banking details being downloaded by a scammer and faster than the blink of an eye, they can clear your bank account.

It's probably possible to perform the email checking from any other device.

Any scam email you get should be sent to Apple or whichever source it claims to be from, by forwarding the email to their scam/phishing email address.

They sometimes actually use logos or trademarks in the emails to try to convince you that they are, or represent, the organisations. Unfortunately, they also use poor English to try to get you to respond. Under no circumstances should you click on any link they include.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2020 4:14 AM in response to darcee97

The email may have been a scam. You don't mention what device you received the email on.

I get lots of scam emails, some of which are scammers claiming to represent Apple.

If the email came through on a desktop, it's easy to find out where the email originated. All you need to do is click on the Apple address in the 'From' or 'Reply to' line. This will throw down a small window that will show the actual address that the email came from, like this:

This one I know to be from Apple, but one I received recently, actually came from a source in Russia.

You really need to be on the ball with emails as one false move can result in your banking details being downloaded by a scammer and faster than the blink of an eye, they can clear your bank account.

It's probably possible to perform the email checking from any other device.

Any scam email you get should be sent to Apple or whichever source it claims to be from, by forwarding the email to their scam/phishing email address.

They sometimes actually use logos or trademarks in the emails to try to convince you that they are, or represent, the organisations. Unfortunately, they also use poor English to try to get you to respond. Under no circumstances should you click on any link they include.

I recently received an email saying my Apple ID was used overseas

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.