Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac pro only boots safe mode

Mac Pro 1,1 running 10.6.8. Running Pro Tools 9. I haven't installed anything new. Computer ran fine for years. One day, screen flickered, froze, and computer froze. Since then, it ONLY boots in safe mode. It won't boot to recovery, won't boot to the other hard drive i have with the os installed. Any other way i try to boot I get the infinitely working hard drive with the spinning wheel. I ran diagnostics, ran target disc mode. It tells me drives are fine. What would make this happen? Someone suggested that the graphics card is bad. Anything else I can do or look for? Why can't I boot in recovery and use my time machine backups? Help. Why is safe mode the ONLY way this computer will start?

Posted on Jan 4, 2020 8:09 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jan 4, 2020 8:24 AM in response to sleshnyc

Have you tried resetting PRAM/NVRAM?

Restart the Mac, then immediately hold down Command + Option + P + R keys together

Keep holding the Command + Option + P + R keys until you hear the boot chime a second time, or for Macs without a boot chime until you see the Apple logo  flicker a second time, often this is around 20 seconds or so. This may help. It's odd that you cannot boot into the recovery OS. Are you using Command + Option + R? My other thought is that if you are using a wireless keyboard it may not have connected during the boot process, so you cannot use it to issue commands to the computer during boot. Let me know if this helps!

mac pro only boots safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.