Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install a JDK

This is a chestnut but I keep getting the "you need to install a JDK" error message on my new iMac running Catalina.

When I try to install the Java legacy software (cf various other threads on same topic) I get the message below (Java for Mac OS 2017-001 can't be installed on this disk. A newer version of this package is already installed).

To date, I have tried to uninstall the current Java, reinstall the legacy Java and then reinstall the latest Java, both with Java's now uninstall program and Mac Terminal.

It still won't let me reinstall the legacy Java. On restart, and with no apps running, I still get the message below.

Does anyone have any bright ideas, please? Even isolating the code/app that's looking for the legacy Java would be good.

Best wishes,

cata

Will

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 10:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 12:55 PM

Sadly that didn't work either. I suspect it would be fine if you knew exactly which file to pinpoint.

Touch wood I have now been JDK free for several hours after going through the steps outlined here. Like the author I have no idea which step solved the issue, though I deleted an Open DNS updater, several Adobe plists (I use Affinity now), a Facebook plist and a Kensington trackball updater.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 12:55 PM in response to chiefsub63

Sadly that didn't work either. I suspect it would be fine if you knew exactly which file to pinpoint.

Touch wood I have now been JDK free for several hours after going through the steps outlined here. Like the author I have no idea which step solved the issue, though I deleted an Open DNS updater, several Adobe plists (I use Affinity now), a Facebook plist and a Kensington trackball updater.

Jan 5, 2020 12:20 PM in response to chiefsub63

Thanks Leroy and Viking OSX,

After posting that, my son came round and we (or rather he) solved it (I made the tea and popped the Digestive biscuits on a plate).

The issue was an old Facebook video chat updater plist file. The advice below removes the file. We chose to edit it and turned True to False so that it does not launch on startup.

Best wishes,

Will

The solution was found here. Screensnap below.

For people wondering how to see "invisible" files on the Mac, use Command + Shift + Period.

Jan 5, 2020 10:42 AM in response to chiefsub63

Try r̶e̶s̶e̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ignore the Software update in your System Preferences.

From the Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo softwareupdate --ignore "Java for macOS 2017-001"

or what ever the "exact name as presented"

(please note your psswd will not echo on screen—type it in anyway to proceed)

relaunch System Preferences>Software update

and then—

defaults write com.apple.systempreferences AttentionPrefBundleIDs 0 && Killall Dock

Install a JDK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.