Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari full screen video issue

Hi there!

I saw a similar topic on apple discussion however, no clear solution yet. So I decided to create another post.

The problem is;

When I switch to full screen video on safari while on Youtube or Netflix, sometimes Safari recognize it as another start page rather than the video so I can't see the control bar of the video and the mouse can't control the screen unless I press x on the Touch Bar. These happens even after I reload my OSX with Internet recovery to Mojave.

Thanks for your help

Canjohnson

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 3:18 PM

if your cursor is unable to click (it has no effect) when watching a video full screen do this steps

1. pull down the “Safari” menu and choose “Preferences
  2. Select the “Search” tab.
  3. Uncheck the box next to “Show Favorites” under the 'Smart Search Field' section.
  4. Close Preferences as usual.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2020 3:18 PM in response to canjohnson

if your cursor is unable to click (it has no effect) when watching a video full screen do this steps

1. pull down the “Safari” menu and choose “Preferences
  2. Select the “Search” tab.
  3. Uncheck the box next to “Show Favorites” under the 'Smart Search Field' section.
  4. Close Preferences as usual.

Jan 8, 2020 6:42 AM in response to canjohnson

Good afternoon canjohnson,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that when you switch to view full screen in Safari that a new page opens rather than seeing the control bar at the bottom of the screen. Are you seeing a new window appear, or a new tab?

I tested this in Safari by going to the Apple Youtube channel, clicking the link below, and then clicking the full view icon (or pressing the letter "f" on my keyboard. The result was the expected behavior of moving from a window to full screen.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE_M8A5yxnLfW0KghEeajjw

The two things I would suggest you try are to check the display settings for your Mac and change the resolution back to default settings, and to test this behavior in a new user account. I'll include some links below to help you with this:

Using a Retina display

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Take care.

Jan 8, 2020 8:21 AM in response to Joseph_S.

Hi Josep,

Thanks for your prompt response. However, I see that I couldn't explain the situation correctly.

When I switch a video to full screen on Youtube or Netflix, sometimes I can't control the control bar of the video and I see a new page icons on the TouchBar which belongs to Safari. That's why I describe as recognizing it as another start page rather than the video. I have to press X on the left side of the Touch Bar for the get it back to normal. These issue happens few times a day. It works very well most of the time but still could't solve it.

Cheers

Safari full screen video issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.