You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash Drive Shows Incorrect Size

I reformatted a 1 GB USB flash drive, and now it's a 261 MB drive. I've formatted it twice now with Disk Utility, MacOS Extended, and still the same result. Last time I reformatted, a couple of weeks ago, it was a 1 GB drive, and it's still listed as External, 1.01 GB under About This Mac. How can I get back the full 1 GB?

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 6:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 9:40 AM

DiskUtiltiy>View>Show All Devices

re-format the parent USB

2 replies

Jan 8, 2020 7:46 AM in response to jabaro

Hello, jabaro!

Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities!

I see from your post that you want to format your flash drive so that its entire capacity is available.

Follow the steps in this article called Erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac to erase your flash drive.

Next, follow the steps in this article called Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac to make sure that the size of the formatted partition is correct.

I hope this information helps you!

Cheers.

Flash Drive Shows Incorrect Size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.