Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 11 triple lens stabilization fault

Hello everyone, circa a month ago I was using my day one iPhone 11 Pro 256gb as a motorcycle GPS. I installed an SPConnect bracket on my KTM 690, put a “quad lock style” tough cover on the iPhone and went for a 200km ride.

After few km I stopped for taking some pics and I noticed that the photos were out of focus. Cutting a long story short the camera seemed simply not capable of maintaining a focus, and kept (also in “Video” or “Pano” or other modes) losing the focus and re-focusing.

I understood that the issue regarded the micro servo of one lens (or more lenses). In fact, with the iPhone wo/ cover, it could be felt micro vibrations if the Camera app was opened, and if put near an ear it could be heard the ticking of the continuous micro adjustments of the servo. Front camera was working as a charm, and the blurring lessened occasionally or using a ultrawide frame - therefore the problem was maybe affecting just the “tele” and/or the “wide” lens; if I recall correctly the iPhone 11 Pro has three separate stabilizers, one per each lens instead one per photographic module.

It’s important to underline that the phone never fell, never got bumps or hits, is always kept in a cover and while riding the Camera app (or other apps using the camera) was shut down. Previously I had an iPhone X, used it a lot in the same way as GPS, and I never had an issue.

I went at the Apple Store, they ran diagnostics, perform a reset and finally decided to change the back photo module. So all the lenses were changed with new ones.

Yesterday I decided to go for another ride. After let’s say 50km of tarmac (just to specify I’m not taking off-road / motocrossing) same scenario: focus was out of control.

So I went back to the AppleStore. Apple technicians performed a DFU (data lost, again…) as they told me that the issue could have been the gyroscope needing to be resettled. As long as the problem remained they decided to change the back side photographic module again.

Now I’m quite worried that I’d suffer the same trouble again at the next motorcycle ride, so I’d love to hear any advice from the Community - other than merely not using my iPhone as a motorcycle GPS! Thanks.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Jan 5, 2020 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 2:13 PM

I've had this same issue, SP connect mount on a GSX-S1000 on a 11 Pro Max, been through 4 camera modules now before I realised it was the bike causing this issue. My bike is pretty buzzy through the bars anyway so not massively surprising. My 7+ has no problem on the bike but it has a different type of sensor/OIS. My boss had his late model iPhone camera fail on his GSX-R1000 as well. I'm going to have to use my 7+ on the bike for GPS and leave the 11 in my pocket I think. My replaced under warranty iPhone is back today so we'll see if it behaves itself when it's not on the bike.

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 20, 2020 2:13 PM in response to Giangiacomo Castelfranchi1

I've had this same issue, SP connect mount on a GSX-S1000 on a 11 Pro Max, been through 4 camera modules now before I realised it was the bike causing this issue. My bike is pretty buzzy through the bars anyway so not massively surprising. My 7+ has no problem on the bike but it has a different type of sensor/OIS. My boss had his late model iPhone camera fail on his GSX-R1000 as well. I'm going to have to use my 7+ on the bike for GPS and leave the 11 in my pocket I think. My replaced under warranty iPhone is back today so we'll see if it behaves itself when it's not on the bike.

Jan 20, 2020 3:04 PM in response to cjnielsen

Thanks Cjnielsen for Your reply. It concours pointing the finger on the cause. On my SMC-R 690 the bracket is mounted directly on the risers - and that means a **** of vibrations, ok.

I’ve bought a used iPhone 7Plus just to serve the purpose, but to me it doesn’t seem fair that older models can handle that vibration while a brand new iPhone 11 Pro cannot, and its photo module crushes.

Mar 8, 2020 9:23 AM in response to charalambos224

AFAIK there is no significant difference between QuadLock and SPConnect; maybe the latter reduce the vibration just a wee more.

If having a second no-stabilized-lenses smartphone is a no-no for You, than You might wait for a new SPConnect mount with augmented dampening - because there is no way Apple'll solve this issue.

BTW don't know which Ducati do You own (I had an HyperMotard), but usually big thumpers and two-cylinders suffer more than 3- or 4-cylinders.

Mar 8, 2020 11:28 AM in response to charalambos224

Yup, a waterproof pocket on a tank bag (or even on a RAM-mount or alike) should do the trick.

A QuadLock or SPConnect direct link on a bracket transmit too much vibration to the iPhone, while a soft pouch dampens it. While keeping the iPhone 11 Pro in my trousers’ pocket I never had an issue, because the vibrations are softened.

BTW kudos for the 939SP (I had a 1100).

iPhone 11 triple lens stabilization fault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.