Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music freezing on iOS 13.3

I recently upgraded to iOS 13.3 on my iPhone 7 and the instant I did, my Apple Music app started to act buggy. Halfway through a song the app freezes, when I press pause it reverts back to the previous song or just stops and completely and then I am unable to play or press anything. Only option is to wait for a little while and hopefully it starts working again but this is by no means guaranteed. Closing the app and opening up again does not resolve this, neither does restarting the phone.

Does anyone else experience this problem? Is there any way I can fix this? 80% of how I use my iPhone is listening to music on Apple Music so this is incredibly frustrating and almost makes this phone redundant if the app is broken.

iPhone 7, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 10:49 AM

Hey there peabuddy,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues using Apple Music as expected after updating iOS. I’ll be happy to help.

You’ve done some good troubleshooting on the issue so far. If the restarting and the other steps did not help, see if this issue occurs on multiple networks with both songs you’ve downloaded and are streaming. This can help isolate the cause of this.

Another step to take is to delete the Music app completely from your iPhone. Just so you know, doing this will remove any songs you’ve downloaded. Turn off Show Apple Music and Sync Library in Settings > Music before deleting the app. Restart your iPhone and download the app, and turn Show Apple Music and Sync Library back on. 

If the issue continues beyond that, back up your iPhone and reinstall iOS using the steps from these links:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let me know if this helps.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 10:49 AM in response to peabuddy

Hey there peabuddy,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues using Apple Music as expected after updating iOS. I’ll be happy to help.

You’ve done some good troubleshooting on the issue so far. If the restarting and the other steps did not help, see if this issue occurs on multiple networks with both songs you’ve downloaded and are streaming. This can help isolate the cause of this.

Another step to take is to delete the Music app completely from your iPhone. Just so you know, doing this will remove any songs you’ve downloaded. Turn off Show Apple Music and Sync Library in Settings > Music before deleting the app. Restart your iPhone and download the app, and turn Show Apple Music and Sync Library back on. 

If the issue continues beyond that, back up your iPhone and reinstall iOS using the steps from these links:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Let me know if this helps.

Jan 9, 2020 4:35 AM in response to sterling r

Hi Sterling, thanks so much for your help - I’ve done the troubleshooting you suggested, then tried deleting Apple Music. This seemed to work, but then within half and hour the same problem with music pausing and the app completely freezing began again.

So I restored my iPhone, put it into recovery mode and backed it up - yet still the problem persisted. Is there any way I can downgrade back to iOS 12? I never had any issues with that operating system - or is this a bug that will be fixed in iOS 13.4?

thanks again for your help, really appreciate it!

Jan 9, 2020 8:41 AM in response to peabuddy

Hi peabuddy,

Thanks for going through those steps. Do you have another device you can test Apple Music on? If so, see if Apple Music works as expected there. If not, and the issue continued to occur after factory restoring your iPhone, you’ll want to reach out to Apple Support using the following link. They can look further into this with you and see why this is happening.:

Contact Apple Support 

Cheers.

Jan 17, 2020 6:54 PM in response to peabuddy

Same problem on my iPhone X. Multiple factory resets haven't made any change.

I find I need to force quit the music app when it becomes non-responsive, then relaunch, but the relaunch also crashes the app and it's only after this second crash that I can launch the app and rock out again.

Super annoying, it has to be a software bug that should be resolved in a future patch. Hopefully comes sooner rather than later.

Jan 19, 2020 7:48 PM in response to Donicles

I have an iphone 8 and have been banging my head on the wall for the past few weeks. Before the update I have never had a issue to Apple Music, I play music all day at work and its the only thing that keeps me sane. Since the update it can't go more than an hour or so without crashing.

I have tried all the steps mentioned above and none of them have fixed the issue. I hope the issue gets fixed quickly, I much prefer apple music to its competitors and really don't want to have to sign up to another music streaming service.

Fingers crossed this issue gets fixed quickly as its obviously not an isolated incident.

Jan 19, 2020 8:10 PM in response to imtoooldforthistech

Hi guys, so it seems like it’s an issue with Apple ID on this update of IOS 13.3.

I tried all the above suggestions but they didn’t help, so I called apple support and they told me to sign out of iTunes by going to settings, selecting my ID at the top, then selecting ITunes and App Store, then signing out, then signing back in again.

this seemed to work as for a few hours the music was unaffected, but then the same thing happened and the music froze. However unlike the times before, this was not as consistent and happens only once or twice a day and quickly starts working again - unlike before when it would take a long time to play music normally.

This also seems like it is a consistent problem with Apple ID on iOS 13.3, because just now as I opened up settings and went into ID to check on the steps for this message, my phone went slow and buggy, then all of a sudden went black with a spinny white wheel in the centre for 10 seconds, then went to my lock screen.

so yeah long of the short of it is this must be a bug and am going to report it to Apple, hopefully next update will figure it out - but there is a remedy that will help, sign out of Apple ID and you will at least be able to listen to music again.

hope that helps!

Jan 27, 2020 3:44 AM in response to peabuddy

This has been happening constantly to my phone I have an iPhone 11 running IOS 13.3 it glitches and freezes up songs stop playing and play the next song but show the previous song on the screen. Even when I scroll through my playlists it freezes up and I have to force quit the app or turn the phone off and on again if it is unresponsive. I pay each month for this subscription and I’m upset that it doesn’t work properly and causes havoc on a daily basis PLEASE FIX THIS APPLE!!

Jan 28, 2020 1:38 PM in response to Donicles

hi Donicles - I think not resolved. The situation improves when you sign out of your Apple ID and then sign in again - to the point that the freezing happens maybe only once a day after that - but I am currently avoiding going anywhere near the Apple ID section of my iPhone settings because if I click through it, even just to open the next menu, my phone goes haywire for a few days - music freezes and apps close all of a sudden then reopen. Even the typing in this message board is delayed - I think because this is connected to Apple ID.

Also does anyone else’s phone get extremely hot when it goes buggy?

Feb 6, 2020 7:20 PM in response to peabuddy

I have had this issue ever since I upgraded my XR to iOS 13 back in October 2019. For my experience, I've narrowed it down to it occurring while I'm playing music through a Bluetooth device. Randomly my phone will just stop playing music and I have to force quit the Music app, it will also happen sometimes when skipping a song.

I first noticed it occurring while connected to my car via Bluetooth (so streaming from Apple Music over cellular/mobile data), but have also experienced it connected to a Bluetooth speaker at home (streaming from Apple Music over Wi-Fi). It doesn't seem to happen with music that I have downloaded to my phone for offline play, only when streaming.

I've gone through very thorough troubleshooting, including a DFU reset and setting my phone as new to eliminate any software issues in the iCloud backup. Following that I had my phone replaced at an Apple store and the issue still persisted, so it isn't a hardware issue.

I have had an ongoing case open with Apple Support this whole time and it has been escalated to a Senior Engineer. As of today I was told it has been acknowledged as a known issue by Apple and to update to 13.3.1. If the issue still persists, they will install a logging profile on my phone to track when the problem occurs, then the developers will use this to troubleshoot further.

Feb 7, 2020 4:53 AM in response to l_r

I am having the same issue on my iPhone XS. Freezing using Apple Music and Apple Podcast. I have rebooted, reinstalled from new, signed in and out and been supplied a replacement phone by Apple. Yet the problem continues even from a fresh install. My phone heats up during the freezing and takes some time before it cools down. I do not see the temperature warning on the phone but the heat is so severe I need to remove the phone from my pocket because it burns against my skin. I have to turn the phone off for several minutes for it to work properly again. I have upgraded to the latest software still the same problem. Never had an issue before IOS13. Yet my iPad works fine on IOS13. This happens several times a day. I have been to the Genius Bar twice. Apple if you read this you need to fix it for me. 500gb iPhone XS and it freezes I did not spend my hard earned for this to occur.

Feb 7, 2020 12:05 PM in response to KurtWarner99

Agree, 13.3.1 hasn’t appeared to resolve the issue fully.

I’m still getting Apple Music crashes and my iPhone X 📱 is getting hot 🥵!

i continue to wait until Apple can resolve it, could be a few more weeks until the next update is released.

there must be some combination of settings that is causing this otherwise there would be a million people up in arms about the issue.

Feb 7, 2020 10:24 PM in response to peabuddy

I've been having the same issues as all you mentioned on my iPhone XS, iOS13.3.1 didn't fix anything.

Apple music freezes. The phone gets hot. Going into settings freezes.

As someone mentioned, the issues seem to stop or occur less frequently when not connected to another bluetooth device.

Not good enough though, apple needs to fix this asap

Apple Music freezing on iOS 13.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.