Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have two identical iTunes backups after changing pathways by command prompt?

After changing the location of my iTunes back up from the C drive to the G drive, iTunes now backs up to both locations. I am running Windows 10 and latest iTunes. I tried both command prompt pathways j and d. J was the successful pathway. Any suggestions? Any reason why? I clearly do not want two backups on my hard drives.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 4:20 AM

When you use a symbolic link to relocate the MobileSync\Backup folder the data will appear to be in the original location that iTunes uses, but the data itself will live on the second path, taking up space on the G: drive, not the C: drive in your example. Note that iTunes checks the free space of the system drive before it backs up, so you still need to maintain sufficient space for a full backup of your largest device on C: for this approach to work.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2020 4:20 AM in response to yakoodle

When you use a symbolic link to relocate the MobileSync\Backup folder the data will appear to be in the original location that iTunes uses, but the data itself will live on the second path, taking up space on the G: drive, not the C: drive in your example. Note that iTunes checks the free space of the system drive before it backs up, so you still need to maintain sufficient space for a full backup of your largest device on C: for this approach to work.

tt2

Why do I have two identical iTunes backups after changing pathways by command prompt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.