Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPods Pro Rattling Noise

I’ve only had my AirPods Pro for a bit over a month and my right AirPod has a rattling noise which originally was just when I coughed or cleared my throat and now it’s litterally every slight move it rattles. I use them primarily at the gym and it is the most annoying experience. I have disconnected my AirPods and re set them up but it’s still occurring. I don’t have the money for new ones as I’m about to start University is this something that Apple can fix?

Posted on Jan 6, 2020 10:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 12:42 AM

Yes, I am experiencing the same issue too, it originally started with my right Airpod, I got that replaced with their DIY service but now recently it has started with my left one too. Songs with heavy bass or when running, it seems to very noticeable, One thing I’ve noticed, I don’t know if it’s the same with everyone else but when the AirPods are on the “OFF” position it’s not noticeable at all which I find very strange.

251 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 12:42 AM in response to Leroy2798

Yes, I am experiencing the same issue too, it originally started with my right Airpod, I got that replaced with their DIY service but now recently it has started with my left one too. Songs with heavy bass or when running, it seems to very noticeable, One thing I’ve noticed, I don’t know if it’s the same with everyone else but when the AirPods are on the “OFF” position it’s not noticeable at all which I find very strange.

Jan 23, 2020 1:45 PM in response to Leroy2798

I'm having the same issue also, found that if i change it to noise canceling off (must be done through your volume, can't be done by holding the earpiece), that this issue goes away. I'm assuming something is wrong with the external speaker (the one that detects noise in transparency or noise canceling mode), I'm going through some steps now (making sure the ear pod is clean and then disconnecting / reconnecting). Will contact Apple support if doesn't fix the issue.

Aug 29, 2020 12:33 PM in response to Leroy2798

my left airpod pro begun to make that rattling noise a while back and i noticed that when i place the silicone tip on the airpod pro like 99% of the way and i leave a ever so slight gap between the tips hard rim and the edge of the airpod pro the rattling goes away almost completely and i really have to shake my head to have it again but for normal movements i dont hear it. i dont know why it is maybe it's something to do with the way the eartip fit yest works maybe the mics are picking up on those sqeaushy sounds silicone tips make in your ear

Jan 7, 2020 12:13 PM in response to KHXIII

I’m the same here! My left AirPod is rattling. At first i thought it was just static interference so i tried to reconnect and mess around with Bluetooth and wifi. If I’m not moving it’s fine but as soon as the base hits the rattle starts, especially when I’m in the gym it rattles like **** so I’m assuming it’s something within the AirPod itself. I’ve only had them for about 2 and half months now and fuming that I’ve paid £250 for it to start rattling so soon.

Jul 31, 2020 9:47 PM in response to Leroy2798

I had this same issue however after some research I was able to find the solution and cause of this problem... You’ve probably noticed that almost all of the reply’s are saying it’s in there left ear the reason is because this is where the issue can be found. This is not a hardware but a software issue with some apps so here’s what you can do.

1. Make sure you have the latest version of iOS, iPadOS, WatchOS or MacOS
  2. Adjust your AirPods
  3. Try a different app. Some apps have an issue working with your AirPods... in my case I had the issue with Spotify but switched to YouTube and it sounded fine.

If none of these solutions work you can learn about hardware solutions at https://support.apple.com/airpods/repair/service If you still have issues contact Apple Support

Jan 14, 2020 3:31 AM in response to Leroy2798

Same thing happened to me with my right one. I started noticing it during phone calls. Eventually, it started happening with certain frequencies in songs (not necessarily bass) and when I coughed or hummed.

Surprisingly enough, I did still hear the noise when I had noise cancellation turned off. It was harder to hear, but it was still there.

Apple did replace it without hassle though. Hopefully, whatever is happening during manufacturing to cause this is found and addressed. I really hope we’re not spending the next year swapping AirPods for this reason.

Jan 7, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Leroy2798

I also have this issue with my right AirPods Pro. It was really subtle when I first got it and thought it was normal, but it got worse over time to the point where moving my jaw would make it rattle. Everyone should still have their year warranty so definitely contact Apple for a replacement ASAP. I contacted them via chat the other day and my new replacement is coming in today. Fingers crossed!

Feb 15, 2021 10:25 AM in response to Leroy2798

I just experienced the same issue with my Airpod Pros too. I purchased mine in November of 2019, and they started rattling about 1 month ago.

Apple mentions that some of them manufactured prior to October of 2020 can experience this issue: https://support.apple.com/airpods-pro-service-program-sound-issues

I made an appointment with my local Apple store (appointments only right now), and they confirmed that not all of the headphones manufactured prior to that date that are experiencing this issue are covered.

They look it up based on the serial number and also run it through a diagnostic machine to determine what issues exist.

The link provided by MrBill3 shows it can be $89 per earbud if not covered or $0 if covered.

I thought the only issue with mine was rattling in one earbud only, however it ended up being present in both plus a loss of bass and mid-range sound in both as well. Turns out I was missing out on a lot of sound and there was nothing I could do to fix it (hard reset, un-pair, and re-pair, etc).

Fortunately, both of mine were covered! It's worth having them look at it so you can figure out your options.

Jul 17, 2020 8:14 AM in response to Leroy2798

Hello,

We see that some of you are reporting issues with AirPods making unexpected sounds while in use. We know it's important for AirPods to have a smooth listening experience; we'd like to help.

We encourage you to take a look at the steps in the following resource if you experience this behavior: If your AirPods Pro make crackling or static sounds

Best Regards.

Oct 30, 2020 5:12 PM in response to bluenoser613

Wow! Just saw an article on CNBC where Apple admits to there being a problem with AirPod pros. I don’t think I can link the article. I’ll grab the bullet points:

• Apple said on Friday that it will replace AirPods Pro headphones that have sound issues.
  • These issues include a static or crackling sound that increases in loud environments as well as issues with active noise cancellation.
  • Apple said that AirPods Pro made after October 2020 don't have the issue.

Good news. Let’s hope the newer made ones have resolved the issue like Apple says.

Feb 4, 2020 9:05 AM in response to penthalis

Unfortunately, this is now happening with my left Airpod (Happened with my right one a month ago). Started the same way, with the rattling happening with certain frequencies with a phone call. And now, it's happening when listening to music or if I cough. Hopefully, replacing this one is as easy as getting the replacement for the right. *Sigh*

AirPods Pro Rattling Noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.