Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The iTunes Store is unable to make purchases at this time. Please try again later.

Basically I’ve been getting this message for at least the last 6 or so months. But this week I’ve had a new development, where it’s now randomly appearing on my Series 3 watch now too.

iPad Pro: it occurs when I unlock the screen, nearly all of the time

Apple Watch (series 3): just started happening this week.

I’ve occasionally had it on my iPhone XS, but not as frequently as it’s happening on my watch or iPad.

I have tried all of the following:

• all have operating system up to date
  • I have restarted the devices
  • I have signed out and signed back in to the App Store on my phone & iPad.
  • I’ve changed the payment details, thinking it was an expired card details.

I have multiple Apple IDs, both with valid payment info: one for UK and another for Australia. My iCloud, App Store etc is signed into my UK account, as that’s my primary account. I sign into my AU account (from the App Store) if I need to download any Aussie apps.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 6

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 4:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 9:30 AM

Hey there twinksie,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re getting an unexpected prompt from iTunes. I’ll be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you’ve done some great troubleshooting on this issue so far. To verify, do you have apps from both of your Apple ID accounts installed on your devices? If so, that could possibly be related. The apps may be attempting to update but are accessing the wrong account or iTunes Store. Take a look at the following link to help you with updating your apps. See if this has any impact on the issue:

Update apps or use automatic downloads

Let me know if this helps.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2020 9:30 AM in response to twinksie

Hey there twinksie,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re getting an unexpected prompt from iTunes. I’ll be happy to help with this.

It sounds like you’ve done some great troubleshooting on this issue so far. To verify, do you have apps from both of your Apple ID accounts installed on your devices? If so, that could possibly be related. The apps may be attempting to update but are accessing the wrong account or iTunes Store. Take a look at the following link to help you with updating your apps. See if this has any impact on the issue:

Update apps or use automatic downloads

Let me know if this helps.

Jan 12, 2020 1:25 PM in response to i_rina

Hi i_rina, it did happen to help. I hadn’t set download apps automatically on my watch as there were two places to set that, on the Watch app on my phone and on the Watch itself, as you described.

It seems to have stopped the incessant prompts on my Watch and phone. I haven’t tested it out on my iPad yet, but fingers crossed!

The iTunes Store is unable to make purchases at this time. Please try again later.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.