Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup airport extreme (5th Gen) to extend my EERO wireless network (via ethernet connection)

I'm trying to use my Airport Extreme to extend my EERO wireless network into my metal shop via ethernet. I ran CAT6 out into my shop, since my wifi won't pass through the metal walls, at all, and am trying to configure the Extreme so I can hardwire it to my EERO network to extend the wireless mesh network inside my building. I was able to do this with a netgear wifi router, to extend the signal in my garage, but I can't seem to get the extreme to setup properly. I need it extending the existing mesh network so it can still seamlessly jump between beacons, routers, etc. without dropping connection. I moved the netgear out there for a quick test and it worked perfectly so I know my line/connection is good.

This is not my area of expertise but I can usually get things working with the help of google and support sites. I have tried searching for instructions, to do exactly what I need, but have found conflicting information (extending wifi, bridging, etc.) and just haven't gotten it to work yet.

Has anyone configured one this way yet and can provide me with some instructions?

Thanks

iPad, 9

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 5:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2020 10:08 AM

Things are much easier and faster if you use AirPort Utility on an iPad.

First, perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort Extreme by powering it up for a few minutes, then holding in the reset button on the back of the AirPort for 7-8 seconds. Release the reset button and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Connect the Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the Eero router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme

On the iPhone or iPad.......

Go to the Home Screen

Tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for an option to Set Up New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Extreme

The example below shows an AirPort Express that will be set up as new device. You will see AirPort Extreme on your screen.

When you tap on AirPort Extreme, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The app will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then present a screen like the example that you see below, except that you will see an AirPort Extreme pictured.

Network Name........Type in the exact same wireless network name that the Eero network is using

Base Station Name......Type in a device name for the AirPort that you want to call it

Password......Type in the exact same wireless network password that the Eero network is using

Verify......Type in the same password again to confirm

Tap Next

The setup "wizard" will automatically configure the AirPort to operate in Bridge Mode, so you do not need to worry about this.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.....and you are Done.

Important Note........Because you are using routers from different manufacturers, it is unlikely that the "hand off" from the AirPort network to the Eero network and vice versa will work all that well......if it works at all.

In other words, if your iPhone, iPad, computer, etc is logged on in the area near the AirPort Extreme and you "walk"the device to an area close to one of the Eero products, the product may or may not "switch" over to the signal from the Eero network. You may need to temporarily switch off the WiFi on the device, then switch it back on to again to get it to connect to the closest router.

Once the AirPort is working, you can use AirPort Utility on the PC to poke around and look at the settings that have been applied to the AirPort Extreme.

If the iPad / iPhone version does not work for you to set up the AirPort Extreme, then we'll have to go with a manual setup of the AirPort Extreme using the PC.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2020 10:08 AM in response to softtail05

Things are much easier and faster if you use AirPort Utility on an iPad.

First, perform a Hard Reset on the AirPort Extreme by powering it up for a few minutes, then holding in the reset button on the back of the AirPort for 7-8 seconds. Release the reset button and allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Connect the Ethernet cable from an Ethernet port on the Eero router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme

On the iPhone or iPad.......

Go to the Home Screen

Tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for an option to Set Up New AirPort Base Station

Tap on AirPort Extreme

The example below shows an AirPort Express that will be set up as new device. You will see AirPort Extreme on your screen.

When you tap on AirPort Extreme, that will start up the AirPort Utility setup "wizard". The app will take a few seconds to analyze the network and then present a screen like the example that you see below, except that you will see an AirPort Extreme pictured.

Network Name........Type in the exact same wireless network name that the Eero network is using

Base Station Name......Type in a device name for the AirPort that you want to call it

Password......Type in the exact same wireless network password that the Eero network is using

Verify......Type in the same password again to confirm

Tap Next

The setup "wizard" will automatically configure the AirPort to operate in Bridge Mode, so you do not need to worry about this.

When you see the message of Setup Complete, click Done.....and you are Done.

Important Note........Because you are using routers from different manufacturers, it is unlikely that the "hand off" from the AirPort network to the Eero network and vice versa will work all that well......if it works at all.

In other words, if your iPhone, iPad, computer, etc is logged on in the area near the AirPort Extreme and you "walk"the device to an area close to one of the Eero products, the product may or may not "switch" over to the signal from the Eero network. You may need to temporarily switch off the WiFi on the device, then switch it back on to again to get it to connect to the closest router.

Once the AirPort is working, you can use AirPort Utility on the PC to poke around and look at the settings that have been applied to the AirPort Extreme.

If the iPad / iPhone version does not work for you to set up the AirPort Extreme, then we'll have to go with a manual setup of the AirPort Extreme using the PC.

Jan 7, 2020 8:03 AM in response to softtail05

Perhaps surprisingly, you would NOT configure the AirPort Extreme to "extend a wireless network".......because that setting would be used only if the AirPort Extreme were wirelessly extending another WiFi network provided by another Apple router.

You are using an Ethernet connection between the Eero router and the AirPort Extreme, so the AirPort must be configured to operate in Bridge Mode to "Create a wireless network" that uses the exact same wireless network name and password as the Eero network.

Apple's AirPort Utility setup "wizard" will basically take care of the Bridge Mode setting, so all that you will need to do is assign a device name to the AirPort Extreme and enter the credentials for the Eero WiFi network. But, before you do this the AirPort must be reset back to its default settings so that it will accept the new settings that you need.

Unfortunately, the "wizard" works somewhat differently depending on whether you will be using a Mac or an iPhone / iPad to set up the AirPort Extreme.

What device will you be using to set up the AirPort Extreme?

Jan 7, 2020 8:25 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Great, that makes sense. Thank you! I was originally using the Airport Utility, via the Ipad, but then I ended up loading the utility on my Windows laptop so I could connect directly via ethernet cable. I will use whichever would be easiest.

So if using the PC, I need to do the reset/restore defaults, connect to it via ethernet, proceed to the setup wizard and select bridge mode? At that point all I should need to do is create the device name and enter the Eero wifi network credentials, follow the prompts to update and restart the extreme and I should be good? At that point I should only have to disconnect from the PC, plug the ethernet directly to my switch/Eero hub and it should be happy and connect and now provide me with the extended wifi on the same network?

Thank you for the response. I look forward to your return confirmation and will be attempting again tonight when I get home to get it completed.

Jan 10, 2020 4:27 AM in response to Bob Timmons

So I haven't been able to test this out too much as of yet... but so far, since there is typically a pretty clean loss of communication with the mesh system, when you enter the building, it seems to switch right over to the extreme once you enter. Pretty much the same when exiting, it seems to drop from the extreme and quickly reconnect back to the Eero. Right now with the cold temps, I don't have the big doors up on the metal building, but I'll be interested to see how it tries to toggle when I'm 10 feet from the extreme but near the open doorway where my mesh connection usually survives. With both of my large garage doors up there is only half the area in there with dead spots on the mesh network. Hopefully when I first hit a dead area in there, it will switch over to the extreme and just stay locked on to that until I end up out of range and it just jumps back to the mesh.

My main reason for even adding the network service is because where we built this new house, the cell service really sucks out in the open, and is pretty much non-existent inside the house or buildings. So all this effort was mainly so I could have a solid wifi connection so I can utilize wifi calling.

So Thanks again for the assistance. Right now things seem to be working as intended and should serve the purpose very well.

Jan 10, 2020 5:46 AM in response to softtail05

Ah, good to hear. It sounds like things are working about as well as you could hope. The fact that the Extreme is located in a separate building is likely helping things out, since the Wi-Fi signal in that area is probably much stronger than the other Wi-Fi signals, so devices "switch" over to the AirPort network and vice versa.

How to setup airport extreme (5th Gen) to extend my EERO wireless network (via ethernet connection)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.