Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad mini 5 screen issue

again, already 1 week i bought this mini, now i feel not satisfied but not disappointed at all. in this case i just want to share my little purple colour of my ipad mini 5 while is producing black colour. I just want to ask, is this screen normal or i just received a defect product? if the screen is normal can you explain why the colour is like that? in this pic is quite purple because of my bad camera phone, the real condition is just only a little purple, especially when facing bright shine or sunlight

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 5:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 6:04 AM

Insofar as a photograph can reliably convey colour balance, your iPad appears about as expected. The photo might suggest that the backlight is set to a high brightness level. The screen coatings can also produce a blue-purple tinge in some ambient lighting conditions.

An LCD panel can never produce “true black” - as the LCD pixels simply block light from the full screen backlight. It does this by changing the polarisation of pixels in relation to a fixed polariser placed in front of the backlight. This technology in never perfect in blocking all light - particularly at high backlight settings.

OLED screens work differently, in that individual pixels emit light directly instead of relying upon a screen backlight. As such, the light-source can be entirely turned-off at a pixel level - resulting in no light from individual pixels. Maybe one day we’ll see OLED screens on iPad, but at present Apple only use this screen technology with some premium iPhone models.

I hope this is helpful to you in setting your mind at ease. If you are still concerned, a visit to your local Apple Store, or retailer, will provide opportunity to compare with similar devices.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 8, 2020 6:04 AM in response to akmalyusufianto

Insofar as a photograph can reliably convey colour balance, your iPad appears about as expected. The photo might suggest that the backlight is set to a high brightness level. The screen coatings can also produce a blue-purple tinge in some ambient lighting conditions.

An LCD panel can never produce “true black” - as the LCD pixels simply block light from the full screen backlight. It does this by changing the polarisation of pixels in relation to a fixed polariser placed in front of the backlight. This technology in never perfect in blocking all light - particularly at high backlight settings.

OLED screens work differently, in that individual pixels emit light directly instead of relying upon a screen backlight. As such, the light-source can be entirely turned-off at a pixel level - resulting in no light from individual pixels. Maybe one day we’ll see OLED screens on iPad, but at present Apple only use this screen technology with some premium iPhone models.

I hope this is helpful to you in setting your mind at ease. If you are still concerned, a visit to your local Apple Store, or retailer, will provide opportunity to compare with similar devices.

Jan 8, 2020 6:15 AM in response to LotusPilot

thank you for the informatiom, i just worried about that because i compare with my phone lcd, redmi 7, but no doubt ipad lcd is better at all, but i just dont like the purple colour that appear in black with high contrast condition.

for oled, yes i know, yesterday i just sold my xiaomi mi8 phone which it has amoled display for buying this ipad. The amoled screen is just georgeous as we thought, the black light is doesn’t appear at all, the backlight is off while producing the black light, it is truly amazing display, i hope so in ipad on next day

ipad mini 5 screen issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.