Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2015 Trackpad and Keyboard not working

It’s 2020 has anyone been able to find a solution to the issue with the MBP 2015 where the trackpad is not found by the computer and so the cursor is stuck at the top left corner of the screen and the keyboard doesn’t respond to commands.

I haven’t been able to do any work for days. It works with an external keyboard and mouse

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 12:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 12:48 PM

airvee wrote:

It works with an external keyboard and mouse

Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1379

Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

4 replies

Jan 9, 2020 3:10 PM in response to airvee

If you have the 13" model, then I find that this can be a difficult problem to troubleshoot since it can be an intermittent issue which can sometimes be temporarily "fixed" by the resets @leroydouglas mentions or even reseating the Trackpad Cable. I would suggest getting the Trackpad Cable replaced since the cable itself is not very expensive (labor will cost more). Convincing Apple to replace the cable without trying the macOS reinstall or reseating of the cable itself may be difficult. I've replaced the cables on several of our organizations 13" MBP 2015s and so far no one has come back with the problem, but it still may be too early too tell if this is a permanent fix. I think because the way the cable is routed in the 13" MBP 2015 laptop that it gets excessive wear. I've only seen this issue on this particular model. The older models routed the cable differently.

Jan 13, 2020 3:26 PM in response to airvee

It looks like the trackpad cable on the 15" model is routed in a similar manner to the 13" model. I highly suspect this cable is defective and needs replaced. We've had the Trackpad Cable replaced on several of our organizations MBP 13" (2015) models and so far they appear to be working Ok, although due to the intermittent nature of the problem it may be too early yet to be 100% sure if this is the ultimate solution. The other choices are more expensive (Logic Board or Top Case Assembly).

Take the laptop to an Apple Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to be repaired. From my own personal experience I seriously doubt you can solve this without a hardware repair. Apple will likely want you to reinstall macOS before they replace any hardware and due to the intermittent nature of the problem a reinstall may appear to "fix" it. If it was my laptop I would insist on having the Trackpad Cable replaced (labor will be the most expensive part of the cost).

MacBook Pro 2015 Trackpad and Keyboard not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.