Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2013 MacBook Pro Trackpad will not click/select.

Is there a fix for a trackpad that responds, but the cursor does not click or select? I am able to swipe up/down and left/right. Thank you.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2022 4:30 PM

Does the trackpad have physical movement when you press on it? If the movement is restricted, then my guess is some liquid or crumbs have gotten jammed along the edges or gotten beneath the Trackpad itself. There is not a whole lot you can do if this is the case. I have successfully fit a piece of paper into the opening around the trackpad to clear it out, but this will only work for stuff along the edge.

Once in a while macOS can get into a state where clicks won't register. Try rebooting the laptop to see if it makes a difference.

There is also a possibility the button on the Trackpad has failed, although this is not very common in my experience servicing our organization's thousands of laptops.

You can enable "Tap to Click" in the Trackpad System Preferences so you don't have to rely on the physical button to click.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 22, 2022 4:30 PM in response to RBuckner60505

Does the trackpad have physical movement when you press on it? If the movement is restricted, then my guess is some liquid or crumbs have gotten jammed along the edges or gotten beneath the Trackpad itself. There is not a whole lot you can do if this is the case. I have successfully fit a piece of paper into the opening around the trackpad to clear it out, but this will only work for stuff along the edge.

Once in a while macOS can get into a state where clicks won't register. Try rebooting the laptop to see if it makes a difference.

There is also a possibility the button on the Trackpad has failed, although this is not very common in my experience servicing our organization's thousands of laptops.

You can enable "Tap to Click" in the Trackpad System Preferences so you don't have to rely on the physical button to click.

2013 MacBook Pro Trackpad will not click/select.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.