Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DiscoveryEngine (Rogue Apps)

A couple weeks ago when I opened my MAC my screen message said "Loading" and it eventually opened a new App that I had never seen. It was called "DiscoveryEngine" and it's icon was something like a magnifying glass inside a circle. It also froze my mouse. Eventually when I got control of the mouse I did a force quit and the App into trash and then deleted that. Since then it has re-invented itself with the same icon, but various names (Anglehop, BegginerData, SwiftEngine and lately ReachChoice. There have been 20 of these that re-invent themselves and I force quit and delete in the trash. I am about to install a Malware program, but wondering with a MAC if that is necessary? Has anyone run into this rogue app and been able to destroy it, or should I opt for the malware? Thanks.

iMac 27", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 2:22 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 8, 2020 5:04 PM in response to herman269

And if that doesn't do it...

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Jan 13, 2020 8:17 AM in response to BigAshD

Mac OS is extremely secure and stable and has built in utilities. Adding cleaning, anti-virus and any other third party "maintenance" apps is not only 100% unnecessary but they tend to have the exact opposite effect you expect. They make Mac OS slow, unstable and make it do wierd things. Please uninstall per the developers instructions any anti-virus and cleaning apps you have installed. 1Password is okay.

Also, if you happen to use a torrent to download software, that is a risky practice and may introduce issues. So if you have done this please uninstall the apps you downloaded and. uninstall the torrent.

[Edited by Moderator]

DiscoveryEngine (Rogue Apps)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.