Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email rules "Perform the following actions" is vanishing!

I've been having email rules problems for the last few OSs that I recall including the following. In an attempt to reclaim use of Rules in Mail.app, I deleted all rules and started fresh. I pruned the heck out of my saved emails. I emptied the trash bin and rebuilt the mailbox index. I started to slowly rebuild the once-helpful rules, one by one. But the part of the rules creation window, under "Perform the following actions has been shrinking, bit by bit. What the heck is going on here?

Halfway there...

Poof!

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2020 7:37 PM

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

6 replies

Feb 9, 2020 10:38 AM in response to BDAqua

I ended up just deleting all my rules, running a thorough cleaning and rebuilding via the Onyx app, and creating all new rules.

Recreating all the rules has been an ongoing project since certain emails show up less frequently than others (I'm still adding rules weeks later) but there are no parts of the window which shrink and disappear, and all the rules work as intended.

Jan 9, 2020 8:25 PM in response to BDAqua

BDAqua, thanks for the suggestion.

My try at a Safe Boot took at least 5 minutes to complete, but it did finally get to the desktop. I opened Mail and got back to creating rules. It seems your idea "reset" the problematic part of the Rules window, but it began shrinking bit by bit again with each new rule condition. I suppose that I will contend with this long-lasting bug, apparently ignored by Apple, by rebooting in Safe Mode after the max number of rule conditions has been reached.

Seems pretty un-Apple to me.

Jan 9, 2020 10:28 PM in response to Mifunego

I've not seen that here!?

EtreCheck is a simple little app to display the important details of your system configuration and allow you to copy that information to the Clipboard. It is meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help people help you with your Mac.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

Pastebin is a good place to paste the whole report...

https://pastebin.com/

Or use the paperclip at the bottom of a Reply to attach the full report here. :)

Email rules "Perform the following actions" is vanishing!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.