Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot rename file

Hi all,

i have downloaded a set of pictures (.jpg files) on my mac running macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

I have set the permission wide open (chmod 777). My problem is the following:

Finder shows the file with a blank icon -- whereas on other pictures shows a small preview. When I left click I don't see the voice "rename". If I click "get info" the voice "Name & Extension" is grey and cannot be modified. When I try to upload the picture to FB, the pictures appears grey and finder does not allow me to upload it. I tried to reset the permission on terminal, deleted the plist file, however nothing worked.

Can you help?

Thank,

Alessio

MacBook, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 3:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 4:53 AM

Why not just open the files up in Preview, then click on File in the menubar, press the option/ alt key and elect Save As

give the file the name you desire, select where to save it and press Save. If you are happy with the new set of files then you can delete the original set.

11 replies

Jan 13, 2020 3:11 PM in response to ale_silver

I also have this problem.

The content of tg01.docx and tg03.docx are the same but tg01.docx cannot be renamed, while tg03.docx is normal.

I did some test on the files. Some discoveries:

1. The file(tg01.docx) shows a blank icon, but the preview window and quicklook can display its content correctly.
  2. It cannot be opened by double-click in Finder, but can be opened by right-click and open with the default app.
  3. When you right-click the file, there's no rename option appeared in the menu.
  4. If you select that file and press Enter, nothing happens but a sound indicate there's an error.
  5. That file will also have trouble syncing with iCloud Drive.
  6. If you choose "get info" in the file menu, the area "Name & Extension" is grey (readonly), and cannot be modified.
  7. If you choose "duplicate" in the file menu, the new file duplicated has the same problem as the original one.
  8. When some app changed that file (not save as & overwrite), it still has this problem.
  9. The file remains such state even after I emptied the content (like tg02.docx).
  10. I cannot find any difference between the two files in Terminal. Here's some commands I've tried:
diff tg01.docx tg03.docx
md5 tg01.docx tg03.docx
ls -la
ls -l@

Here's some ways to rename the file (may not be very elegant):

(Solution 2-4 will fix the abnormal state of the file)

1. You can rename the file via command line, but the file remains unable to be renamed in Finder after this.
  2. You can duplicate the files or the folder that contains such files in Terminal.app and remove the old ones. (demo commands provided) (tg03.docx is generated in this way)
  3. You can compress the file or the folder and then uncompress it.
  4. Drag the file/folder to OneDrive Sync folder (if you installed OneDrive), wait until it finished. Then you'll find the icon turn up instead of leaving blank. Now you can move the recovered file back.
# Commands for solution1 - rename directly
mv oldname newname

# Commands for solution2 - single file
cp tg01.docx tg01-new.docx  # duplicate the file
rm tg01.docx  # delete the old file
mv tg01-new.docx tg01.docx  # rename the new file to its original name

# Commands for solution2 - whole folder
cp -r thefolder newfolder  # duplicate the folder
rm -r thefolder  # delete the old folder
mv newfolder thefolder  # rename the new folder to its original name

All above four solutions will not change or corrupt the file, so don't worry.

But is there any idea about the cause of such file? Thanks!

Jan 12, 2020 12:13 AM in response to ale_silver

Do any of the pictures in the set you downloaded work correctly?

Just because a picture can open does not mean the file isn't corrupted or altered in some way which would prevent a thumbnail. Some apps can overcome or bypass some types of corruption or malformed file.

Where are the files being stored? Can you copy the files to another folder using the Finder? Using the command line? Can the files then be accessed properly? Try downloading the files again using a different browser and selecting a different target folder.

Jan 12, 2020 2:42 AM in response to HWTech

Just because a picture can open does not mean the file isn't corrupted or altered in some way which would prevent a thumbnail. Some apps can overcome or bypass some types of corruption or malformed file.

agree

Can you copy the files to another folder using the Finder? Using the command line? Can the files then be accessed properly? Try downloading the files again using a different browser and selecting a different target folder.

I can open the photos in preview, copy/move the files with finder and with terminal.

Where are the files being stored?

where copied from my samsung device with android file transfer app to my mac hd.

Jan 14, 2020 1:57 AM in response to Zhuang15

I could have not been more clear. The problem is exactly what you describe in every single step. I agree also on the solution that at the end I was able to find.

My point is the following: if the file system has a buggy file, however there is no technical way to check which kind of bug it is and how to solve it, in my opinion is a "Bug" of the file system/finder.

Regards,

Alessio

Cannot rename file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.