Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

kernel panic *VERY* new iMac 27" 2019

All, got just a week or so ago a new iMac 27" 2019 (today is January 9, 2020). Ordered with 8GB memory and 3 TB fusion drive.

I ordered quality memory through macsales (OWC) to beef it up (as we know apple is very proud of their memory prices!) - 64GB and when the system came, just popped the new memory in.

system fired up just fine, recognized all memory - the startup process went 'normal' - pulled files from time machine, and got things set up 'normally' (whatever that means - but no problems). There was a catalina update so I did that and I'm on the newest of all software.

I've been using it and checking out all new things, removing old software that won't work, and updating to working software...

since then, when the system is not being used, I will get kernel panics (one copy below) and the system restarts itself. I can have numerous apps open, or no applications at all, and if I'm gone for the day, or overnight, the system simply restarts and I get the kernel panic message.

My first steps on this is to remove the 64GB of memory and put in the factory apple memory and see if that changes things, if so, then I know the memory is the problem. I can put in a stick at a time to see which one causes this.

anyway - any thoughts out there on these issues? I'll take any input.

here's a copy of the most recent kernel panic report - and I need help deciphering it a little.

thanks

rory

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 6:59 PM

It was a very busy day today, sorry for neglecting your reply.

For sure get rid of CleanMyMac and try reducing the # of User Launch Agents and Login Items at least until Photos has run the course and that activity has subsided.

I would also be suspicious of external devices and adapters, especially if you had to patch some in with multiple or new adapters.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 6:59 PM in response to Rory

It was a very busy day today, sorry for neglecting your reply.

For sure get rid of CleanMyMac and try reducing the # of User Launch Agents and Login Items at least until Photos has run the course and that activity has subsided.

I would also be suspicious of external devices and adapters, especially if you had to patch some in with multiple or new adapters.

Jan 10, 2020 7:16 AM in response to Rory

Wow you have a lot of third party stuff going on there.

At this point it's impossible to tell if those Kernel Panic's are caused by Hardware or Software? Sense they started about a week or so ago, then I would suspect that they are from a recently added external device or perhaps recently added third party software.

Personally I have never seen a Diagnostics Information Report that was so full of High CPU Use Items.

To be honest, I think that I would blow out the whole third party mess and see if the iMac still Kernel Panics.

If it does, then I would question the iMac's Hardware.

If it does not, then you can count on one or more of the those third party app or modifications.

Jan 10, 2020 9:04 AM in response to den.thed

Yeah, I have lots of apps installed, this was an upgrade from my very old Mac Pro Tower, using Time Machine to restore stuff. Lots of 3rd party stuff. I think my previous OS was Capitan - I could not upgrade any further on that old system. So I know things like photos was doing a ton of re-indexing and whatever it does on the new version of it - and I have a bunch of photos.

So, as I'm (still) cleaning things out, and removing tons of stuff, I'll focus on what the report gave me, I'll be working it over the weekend (it's gonna be cold here, I've got some time) and will run another report to see what it says.

thanks for the lead on that software

rory

Jan 13, 2020 3:52 PM in response to den.thed

I cleaned out pretty much everything on the report - got rid of all 32 bit apps and every piece of extra program stuff - did this saturday morning - since then, no kernel panics and has stayed up....

I'm hoping this has done it - ps this is written monday evening - so previously it would panic and restart when not used for a while so that behavior appears to have stopped.

thanks for the help and the tool!

rory

kernel panic *VERY* new iMac 27" 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.