Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Repeated Kernel Panic Issue -

Hi,

I have a persistent problem with my iMac 27 Inch. It's a late 2014 model (bought early 2015). The problem is a repeated and persistent kernel panic issue and I have no idea how to fix it. I have tried all of the following solutions;

• Fresh install of big sur
  • Replace Fusion drive with SSD
  • Cycle back to Catalina (Improved the issue dramatically but did not remove)
  • Run with all peripherals unplugged (Improved the issue a little)

The problem most often occurs when editing video in Final Cut Pro but it is not exclusive to that process. If I let things render slowly and then keep editing it mitigates the problem but really it's very unclear what causes it.

It is SIGNIFICANTLY worse in Big Sur, but I need Big Sur to run the latest version of FCP and match to my laptop (I work on the road a lot).

The Kernel Panic is - panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8015dc5396): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8015b010a7

I don't have the full report at this time but have reported almost all of these to Apple.

Any help is so **** appreciated as it's a bloody pain in the arse.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2021 9:16 AM

Can you please explain how I get a copy of the report without waiting for another crash?

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/. Name starts with “Kernel” and has a .panic extension.

I have literally read every forum, Apple Article and everything else.

So, what third-party kernel extensions are loaded?

Similar questions

9 replies

Nov 11, 2021 6:59 AM in response to llewellynSP

llewellynSP wrote:

• Hi,

I have a persistent problem with my iMac 27 Inch. It's a late 2014 model (bought early 2015). The problem is a repeated and persistent kernel panic issue and I have no idea how to fix it. I have tried all of the following solutions;

Fresh install of big sur
• Replace Fusion drive with SSD
• Cycle back to Catalina (Improved the issue dramatically but did not remove)
• Run with all peripherals unplugged (Improved the issue a little)

The problem most often occurs when editing video in Final Cut Pro but it is not exclusive to that process. If I let things render slowly and then keep editing it mitigates the problem but really it's very unclear what causes it.

It is SIGNIFICANTLY worse in Big Sur, but I need Big Sur to run the latest version of FCP and match to my laptop (I work on the road a lot).

The Kernel Panic is - panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8015dc5396): Kernel trap at 0xffffff8015b010a7

I don't have the full report at this time but have reported almost all of these to Apple.

Any help is so **** appreciated as it's a bloody pain in the arse.

Without the full report or 2 or 3 to compare very little can be said here specifically.

Kernel Panics are predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

Learn what to do if your computer restarts or shuts down unexpectedly, or you get a message that your computer restarted or shut down because of a problem.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

also: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/if-your-mac-restarts-and-a-message-appears-mchlp2890/mac

Nov 11, 2021 10:03 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey,

There are no kernel panic logs in the Diagnostic Reports. The only crash is a FCP crash this morning but it didn't take the system down. It just did the same thing again while exporting a big video.

You may have to bear with me a bit because I'm no IT wizz, that's why I'm here!

So I ran

kextstat | grep -v com.apple

in terminal and it came back with no results.

I ran kextstat and it came back with this -

Also, the latest crash report (they're all the same).

Thanks

Nov 11, 2021 9:10 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hi,

Can you please explain how I get a copy of the report without waiting for another crash? I have done a sysdiagnose if that helps? I have checked the crash reports and they aren't showing anything.

I have literally read every forum, Apple Article and everything else. I've done diagnostics, fitted and new hard drive, cycled back to old software. I'm deep in the rabbit whole and have no idea. The reason I'm asking here is there are ton of other threads with that kernel panic crashing repeatedly. The only software I'm using is FCPX, Neat Video and Color Finale 2. I have nothing else open.

The only consistent issue seems to be when rendering large task such as video colour and effect but there is no pattern that I can identify and it still did it before I re-installed those apps.

I do use a dock, but I've tried not using it, no peripherals attached and while it improved slightly the problem was still present. At it's worst it's been every 15 minutes.

Nov 11, 2021 10:46 AM in response to llewellynSP

I just found out the terminal command for returning KEXT changed for BIG Sur. Just ran and got this back.

~ % kmutil inspect | grep -v com.apple

No variant specified, falling back to release
boot kernel collection at /System/Library/KernelCollections/BootKernelExtensions.kc (B0F651E1-EA0A-E21B-06F2-E2D3B36EE521):
Extension Information:
com.promise.driver.stex	6.2.13	/System/Library/Extensions/PromiseSTEX.kext	
com.Areca.ArcMSR	1.4.2	/System/Library/Extensions/ArcMSR.kext	

system kext collection at /System/Library/KernelCollections/SystemKernelExtensions.kc (4F8A8B38-E351-6638-055F-7687425C8146):
Extension Information:

auxiliary kext collection at /Library/KernelCollections/AuxiliaryKernelExtensions.kc (C8CCA7F4-18F8-8E7C-6EE6-BCB29C96331C):
Extension Information:
com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointRR	4.22.1	/Library/Extensions/HighPointRR.kext	
com.highpoint-tech.kext.HighPointIOP	4.4.5	/Library/Extensions/HighPointIOP.kext	
com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID	6.0	/Library/Extensions/SoftRAID.kext

Nov 12, 2021 6:40 AM in response to Barney-15E

Hey,

Thanks for getting back to me. I do not. I occasionally plug a Zoom H6 in to record VO but it's not plugged in at present.

I do use a plugin for FCP called Accusonus which isn't the most stable. It does cause FCP to crash sometimes, especially if you have a lot of effects going on.

I did a bit more digging last night and another thread suggested it might be caused by a RAM issue? I downloaded REMBER to test it and it through up a FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address. I've since tested each DIMM individually and found nothing. Currently retesting all four together.

Is it likely that the RAM is failing/the issue?

Nov 12, 2021 8:35 AM in response to llewellynSP

I think this was mentioned earlier that kernel panics are predominately caused by hardware and third-party kernel extensions.

When it is hardware, it is quite often caused by bad RAM.

Rember is a good tool for checking RAM, but a passing RAM test isn't conclusive. The only conclusive RAM test is a failure.

Pulling them and reseating them might have resolved the issue as it could have been a very slightly loose pin.

The panic log will usually indicate some sort of memory issue when it is RAM. Your panics don't seem to indicate that. But, given the error you got for the RAM, the panic may not have been actually memory related panic.

Repeated Kernel Panic Issue -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.