Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant Kernel Panics - Makes Me Want to End My Love Affair with Apple - Mid 2010 Mac Pro Tower 5-1

Hello Friends

I have a Mid 2010 Mac Pro Tower... it has NEVER given me any problems in the 10+ years I've owned it.

However about 3 months ago, I started experiencing my first Kernel Panics.

My computer would instantly shut down while editing video in Adobe Premiere. (I am a video producer and editor). My system would crash constantly and I just figured my Mac was dying. But I jumped into some forums and tried my best to diagnose the problem.

I replaced all the RAM and the Power Supply. Both seemed to work initially. But now, on random days... the system will kernel panic crash repeatedly. It seems strange because some days the computer runs all day without a problem... and some days it crashes every 5 minutes... making my work productivity ZERO.

They system crashes when performing ANY tasks now... not just video editing. I opened up a word document and type a few letters... CRASH. I open up a web browser... CRASH. WTF!!!!!! That said, the Kernel Panics usually happen when editing in Premiere when i am working fast and stressing the system.

My system is pretty unique in that I'm up-fitted it with 128GB of RAM...several PCI Express Cards... Radeon RX 580 graphic Card... and I am currently running Mojave 10.14.6. This is a BEAST of a machine that, on paper, can still hang with even new iMacs... when it is working properly, that is. But right now it's inconsistent and unreliable and I'm about to pull my hair out and jump out of a window.

I've attached the latest system report from the latest Kernel Panic about 5 minutes ago... (below)

This was a "mild" panic and my system popped right back on. However some panics shut the system down for up to 20 minutes while it attempts to re-boot. In general, booting Mojave on this old tower can take up to 10 minutes... and there is no boot screen... so it's a very fretful process.

I've also attached the system overview. (Below)

Sometimes I think this may be a heat sink issue... that gets triggered after long days of editing.

Sometimes I think it's processor or motherboard issue due to stressing the system.

But I have no idea... I do not know how to read the system reports. (below)

As I said, I've replaced the RAM and the Power Supply... graphics card is less than 1 year old.

The one thing I have not done is a clean install of all the software and Operating System. I dread doing this because of the complications of running Mojave on this system... there is no boot screen with Mojave on these old towers, etc.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! I don't want to drop $10,000-$50,000k on a new Mac Pro. Although those new towers look pretty sweet. ;)

And here is the latest Kernel Panic...

Mac Pro, macOS 10.14

Posted on May 4, 2021 4:21 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

May 4, 2021 6:50 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant! Really appreciate your insight and taking the time to respond.

I'll attach a few more panic reports... there are many stored on my computer in the file vault you referenced... thanks for that!

The amount of Kernel Panics I've dealt with is rather amusing. Here is a screen shot of some of them... the list goes on and on.

Yeah I definitely have a lot of ExFat drives! My computer has the 4 SATA hard drive bays and 3 of them are 7200 hard drives that I have formatted as ExFat. I am a video editor and I often need to share drives with team members and we find that using ExFat that the drives are readable for both Mac and PC computers.

Are you suggesting that I no longer format these harddrives as ExFat? And instead keep them in native Apple architecture? (APFS or mac OS Extended Journaled)

Or are you merely suggesting that I remove these drives before running tests?

Below is a series of Kernel Panics that took me down yesterday.

Thanks again, Grant for your insight and advice.

If there is a way for me to buy you a beer, let me know.

If you can solve this problem... I'll buy you a keg.

May 4, 2021 8:39 AM in response to H_Man_2021

Page faults:

A drive with corrupted data could be causing the page faults. Erasing that drive would fix the issues. If you do not have a separate copy of that data on another drive, you are 'working without a net' and any problem could wipe all that stuff out.

Memory corruption:

a drive that sprays data around inside your Mac could be defective, or its enclosure could be defective. Mass storage devices do not use the Mac's memory address translation, so they do not get the benefit of memory protection (which would otherwise generate a page fault).

The best way to try to find such a drive is to be extra vigilant, and take notes about what combinations of drives and controller are present own problems occur.

Are you actually actively using floppy disks as well? You seem to have the Sony (floppy disk) driver loaded.

May 4, 2021 11:46 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Hey Grant

I removed all the ExFat hard drives...

And have had 3 kernel panics in a row.

Dang it!

Any other ideas based on the system report?

Do you know how to get into to safe mode and run a system diagnostics test?

I think I remember reading that on these old Mac Pro Towers... once you install Mojave... you cannot access the boot screen.

I tried holding down "D" upon re-boot and nothing happened... it eventually just rebooted to standard Mojave OS.

Think I have a copy of Mac OS Siera laying around. I'll try booting with that and try getting into safe mode for system diagnostics testing.

Ugh.

May 4, 2021 7:34 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Wow... Grant, sir... I feel like this is very good news, overall.

So a few questions about the potential killer ExFat drive.

-Assuming I figure out which of the 3 ExFat drives is the problem child... Would erasing and reformatting the "killer drive" save it and make it useful again? Or do you think that drive is unsaveble and should be burned alive like a witch it the middle ages?

-All 3 of those ExFat drives contain important information and projects, so I would have to back them up first before attempting to reformat them. Would backing up the drives just pass the defective problems onto the new drive? Or do you think the problems on the drive are more hardware related vs data related?

-i do have an external SATA harddrive reader that is attached to my compuyer via a SATA port connection. I use this to quickly read old harddrive and pull up old projects Any chance that external reader is causing the problems? Maybe it needs a firmware update or something? Or do you think it's one of the three internal harddrive? (See attached photo)

-Anyway to trouble shoot each drive? Other than just testing the computer with each drive individually to see if panics happen?

Thanks Grant.

Where can I send you a gift package?

Or maybe I can venmo you some cash as a consultation fee?

Really appreciate it.

May 4, 2021 6:16 AM in response to H_Man_2021

Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

There are three quick take-aways from any panic report.

1) The panic-reason,

2) the extensions present at the "scene of the crime", and

3) the BSD process in which the problem occurred.

One more item that is important is the names of any third-party Extensions you have added. They are shown FIRST in the extensions loaded section

May 4, 2021 6:22 AM in response to H_Man_2021

The panic-reason is page fault, a reference to memory not owned by the task making the reference

panic: Kernel trap type 14=page fault

The extensions present at the scene of the crime are:

Kernel Extensions in backtrace:

com.apple.filesystems.exfat(1.4)[C2CC1DC9-E50D-3158-9043-18FAD583B8D3]@0xffffff7f877cf000->0xffffff7f877dcfff

The panic was detected in launchd, the always-running daemon that supervises lunching new software.

This suggest that the ExFAT file system is involved. If you are using any ExFAT drives, you should disconnect them to debug further.

May 4, 2021 7:14 AM in response to H_Man_2021

<< Are you suggesting that I no longer format these harddrives as ExFat? And instead keep them in native Apple architecture? (APFS or mac OS Extended Journaled) >>

I am suggesting you have a "killer drive" attached -- one with internal problems such that, when mounted and used, it eventually creates a page fault due to bad Pointers or similar internal issues.

Some of your other panic reports are Kernel stack memory corruption. Thai is caused by a drive that sprays data at unauthorized locations inside your Mac, causing corruption. It is NOT caused by RAM failure -- your Mac has error-correcting RAM memory and RAM failure cause a different, well known pattern you are not seeing.

May 4, 2021 8:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ha! Man I have not seen a floppy disk in a long time. We use to play frisbee with those things in our middle school's computer lab. No... that sony drive is a card reader for uploading video footage.

I ran disk utility repair on all of the drives. Seems to have tempered the angry beast for the time being.

I'll back up all the drives and test them out. If this indeed solves my issues may you be blessed by angles and admired by devils as you ride eternal into the light and darkness of this life and the next.

Thanks again, Grant.

Constant Kernel Panics - Makes Me Want to End My Love Affair with Apple - Mid 2010 Mac Pro Tower 5-1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.