Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sent out for simple repair, came back unbootable.

• Brought my mid 2015 macbook pro with applecare to my local store due to a thunderbolt port issue. (Port was simply broken and not recognizing any device.)
  • They sent it to the main repair facility, and replaced the entire logic board. I got it back within 5 days of bringing it in.
  • Got home, went to boot up the computer... and couldn’t. I did all of the troubleshooting I could (various resets) and attempted automatically repairing drive in disk utility, but couldn’t as it wouldn’t load past “select a drive.”
  • Walked back into apple store 2 hours later and they took me right away (of course). Technician proceeded to try the same resets… ultimately, they all didn’t solve the issue. He recommended "wiping and using the backup external." We wipe the computer, and he says "you can try and recover it here, or you can go back home to do it cause it may take some time." Decide to go home as I have 500gb I need to restore.
  • I restore the drive (took 5 hours). Go to boot up.... won’t boot. 

What gives? Should I complain about a faulty machine? Should I complain about apple returning my MacBook in worse condition than it was before? Very distraught as I’m self-employed and rely on this machine for work... not to mention, I’ve thrown buckets at this company having purchased 3 iPhones and 2 other MacBooks. I should not be dealing with this failure within 3 years of purchase. (I purchased the computer in early 2016 brand new as I was told by a rep that the 2016 Touch Bar models were getting recalled/complaints.)

Also, if there is a ‘’bad file’’ in the backup... am I just expected to manually drag files over from time machine and redesign my system?

I work with audio- it will take me hours to redesign my machine and audio plugins as well as application support folder... not to mention, redownload all my programs. I really don’t feel I should be expected to do this.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 9, 2020 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2020 3:25 PM

I would erase the whole physical drive and perform a clean install of macOS using Recovery Mode (or Internet Recovery Mode). If a clean install won't boot properly, then you know you have a hardware issue which Apple will need to resolve.

If a clean install boots fine, then use Migration Assistant to migrate your stuff from the backups. If you have a problem now, then you know something with your backup is most likely causing the problem. At this point you can try migrating just the user account.

You have a 90day warranty on the repair (if it was sent out to the Apple repair depot).

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 10, 2020 3:25 PM in response to AdaaaMM

I would erase the whole physical drive and perform a clean install of macOS using Recovery Mode (or Internet Recovery Mode). If a clean install won't boot properly, then you know you have a hardware issue which Apple will need to resolve.

If a clean install boots fine, then use Migration Assistant to migrate your stuff from the backups. If you have a problem now, then you know something with your backup is most likely causing the problem. At this point you can try migrating just the user account.

You have a 90day warranty on the repair (if it was sent out to the Apple repair depot).

Jan 10, 2020 7:01 AM in response to AdaaaMM

Should I complain about apple returning my MacBook in worse condition than it was before?

That's up to you but complaining here will accomplish exactly nothing. Bring it back to Apple again, and repeat as necessary until they get it right.

Also, if there is a ‘’bad file’’ in the backup... am I just expected to manually drag files over from time machine and redesign my system?

Time Machine isn't designed to work that way. I don't know what a "bad file" is but read and follow Use Time Machine to restore deleted files.

Sent out for simple repair, came back unbootable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.