Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I'm somewhat tech-y and I can't figure it out - how to wipe a drive when nothing works?

I have a 2020 Intel MacBook Air which I would like to pass on to a new life.

Before doing so, I would like to wipe its drive.

The Current situation:

Unfortunately, this computer has had a series of issues over time.

The screen is broken, unusably so. Its battery is dead - completely.

Due to one of, or both these issues, the computer is throttling itself to practical uselessness, the fan is turning at maximum RPM, and the Kernel task is using over 300% CPU.

I can currently boot normally and login, play with files, do things with apps, all extremely slowly, but functionally.

However most system settings are inaccessible, some pages within "System Settings" simply do not load. Disk Utility similarly freezes during loading. Current software on the machine is 12.4 The most modern update has been downloaded, but the machine refuses to install it, freezing at 53 minutes remaining.

My failed attempts:

Trying to enter recovery mode (internet or normal) leaves me staring indefinitely at the apple logo on the screen (external display). This was attempted both through the usual key combinations and Terminal prompts. Similarly, it will not boot into diagnostics mode, it freezes on the apple logo as well. The computer will however boot into safe mode.

Trying to wipe the drive in slave mode fails. The disk is recognized, but attempts at entering the disk's password lead to a freeze and crash of the master computer (two different ones at that.)

Apple ID settings are inaccessible, and the computer itself, while connected to the internet, appears on iCloud as disconnected - it is therefore impossible to wipe it remotely.

The "users" page in settings will not load. I therefore cannot create a new admin account and wipe the old one (an imperfect, but in my mind acceptable solution).

I would appreciate solutions other than "a hammer" though I may be brought to that extreme soon.

Thanks in advance,

Loruca

MacBook Air

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2022 5:26 PM

With a 2020 Intel Mac you can perform a firmware "Restore" which will reset the T2 security chip & erase the SSD, followed by pushing a clean macOS onto the internal SSD. You will need access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+ to do this though and does not require a working screen or ability to navigate the system since it is all done through the host computer. This "Restore" process is like a DFU Restore for an iPhone or iPad.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 26, 2022 5:26 PM in response to Loruca

With a 2020 Intel Mac you can perform a firmware "Restore" which will reset the T2 security chip & erase the SSD, followed by pushing a clean macOS onto the internal SSD. You will need access to another Mac running macOS 10.15+ to do this though and does not require a working screen or ability to navigate the system since it is all done through the host computer. This "Restore" process is like a DFU Restore for an iPhone or iPad.

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

I'm somewhat tech-y and I can't figure it out - how to wipe a drive when nothing works?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.