Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air - SSD fault?

I have a MacBook Air that was purchased in 2017. Flashing [?] on start up. I can boot from an external drive but the Hard Drive is not seen with Disk Utility or Terminal. (no devices showing at all).

Having worked in I.T. for many years I have spare SSD Hard Drives but the issue with this model is that the SSD Storage is built onto the Logic Board so non replaceable. Tried resetting SMC and PRAM / NVRAM but still no joy. Starnge thing is that after instaling an OS on a 128GB USB Flash Drive and then booting from it, the internal SSD Storage then showed and I was able to retreive data. After doing this it then booted from the internal drive but after a shut down it then reverts to not being visible? So I would say the symptoms now are that the SSD is intermittently not seen with Disk Utility or Terminal.

I really wish they hadn't built the storage onto the Logic Board as a repair cost is likely to exceed the value of the MBA. (quoted £600)

My issues with SSD Storage built onto the Logic Board:

• No upgradability.
  • Data Recovery much more tricky and often impossible.
  • MacBook life expectancy reduced due to less replaceable components.
  • Increased out of warranty repair costs because the option to replace the SSD or RAM has been taken away.
  • Reduced second hand value. (with an older MacBook you could remove the SATA SSD and still get £100+ for it. To do that now you run the risk of someone accessing your data and it's less like to be ecconomically repairable).
  •  This MBA also had very limited connectivity; has just one USB-C input. Can't plug in any peripherals whilst still being able to charge it! 

Posted on Jul 26, 2022 12:14 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 26, 2022 2:51 PM in response to neuroanatomist

Yes I have left feedback...

There may be some good points but in my opinion they are outweighed by the negative points I mentioned.

Pros:

• Stylish / Nice looking
  • Thinner and lighter
  • Faster than previous MacBooks

Cons:

• No upgradability.
  • Data Recovery much more tricky and often impossible.
  • MacBook life expectancy reduced due to less replaceable components.
  • Increased out of warranty repair costs because the option to replace the SSD or RAM has been taken away.
  • Reduced second hand value. (with an older MacBook you could remove the SATA SSD and still get £100+ for it. To do that now you run the risk of someone accessing your data and it's less like to be ecconomically repairable).
  •  This MBA also had very limited connectivity; has just one USB-C input. Can't plug in any peripherals whilst still being able to charge it! 

Jul 27, 2022 11:22 AM in response to John-P-W

FWIW, the industry standard is moving more and more to soldered in SSDs and RAM on laptop logic boards. So, Apple is not alone in this regard as people want thinner and thinner and lighter laptops.

No upgradability.

You made your purchase fully aware that there was no upgradability. If that was a consideration, then you did not purchase a computer that met your needs.

Data Recovery much more tricky and often impossible.

Data recovery- Trusting your data to a single device without a backup is an accident waiting to happen, with or without a hardware failure as many things can go wrong.

MacBook life expectancy reduced due to less replaceable components.

It is unfortunate that your SSD failed after 5 years, but there are thousands (millions?) of MacBook Airs much older than yours based on the same design concept that are still in service.

Increased out of warranty repair costs because the option to replace the SSD or RAM has been taken away.

This is true. The cost of an ultra thin, light weight design that everyone wants.

Reduced second hand value. (with an older MacBook you could remove the SATA SSD and still get £100+ for it. To do that now you run the risk of someone accessing your data and it's less like to be ecconomically repairable).

Totally incorrect, you can still completely wipe your entire existence from any Mac you own and actually with SSDs it is much safer and easier that with the old spinners.

This MBA also had very limited connectivity; has just one USB-C input. Can't plug in any peripherals whilst still being able to charge it! 

It was your choice that you chose such a computer instead of one that met your connectivity needs. As far as peripherals and charging, there are literally a myriad of devices in the world that solve this issue from very simple to as complex and high performance as one may desire.

Jul 28, 2022 3:45 AM in response to woodmeister50

Some of your comments are correct but some are not but perhaps because I didn't have room to include every detail;

I am a Mac User of 30 years and previously an Apple Certified Technician. The MBA in question belonged to my Neice and it was handed to me to try and resolve the isses with it. I agree about backing up and always use Time Machine.

Regarding the point that you can erase Data on the built in SSD - how is that possible if the SSD is not seen with Disk Utility or Terminal?

You're right it is down to personal opinion but in my case I don't care if a new model is 2mm thinner? I'd rather be able to replace a failed Hard Drive and keep it running. I agree that my background of working in an I.T. Support Role may have given me a more negative outlook than most due to mainly dealing with the computers that fail. The build everything on Logic Board design just makes repairs more expensive.

Re: " The cost of an ultra thin, light weight design that everyone wants".

Well obviously I disagree with that! I think it should be more about a manufacturer finding the balance between design, reliability and repairability, and offerring more purchase options.

MacBook Air - SSD fault?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.