Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I delete an email from my phone, it also deletes off of husbands

If I delete an email from my phone, it also deletes off of husbands- how do I stop this? We have different iCloud's, just access to the same emails. This just started when I had to delete and reinstall the email account on my phone. There was no issue before this.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6s

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2020 10:33 AM

Sounds like you have an IMAP account. With that, email is stored on the server, and is synced to the mail clients. If you are both looking at the same email account, if you delete a message from one client, it syncs to the other client. That is how IMAP is supposed to work. But then, an IMAP account is not really designed for two different people to be using it.

If you go to Settings>Passwords & Accounts, and you find the email account in question, tap on it and on the next page, what do you see at the top, IMAP? Does this appear on both devices the same way?

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2020 10:33 AM in response to judi44

Sounds like you have an IMAP account. With that, email is stored on the server, and is synced to the mail clients. If you are both looking at the same email account, if you delete a message from one client, it syncs to the other client. That is how IMAP is supposed to work. But then, an IMAP account is not really designed for two different people to be using it.

If you go to Settings>Passwords & Accounts, and you find the email account in question, tap on it and on the next page, what do you see at the top, IMAP? Does this appear on both devices the same way?

If I delete an email from my phone, it also deletes off of husbands

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.