Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar doesn't start any more when I open the lid

Hello,

MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar doesn't start any more when I open the lid. It starts fine when I press the start button on the Touch Bar.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kubilay

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 2:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 5:05 AM

Reset the SMC and NVRAM:

Sometimes changes take place while your Mac is being used, making it operate not as intended (In this case, the screen and touchpad). Use these Links:

10 replies

Jan 14, 2020 6:12 AM in response to ks_1

ks_1 Said:

Shut down Mac Open the lid; Mac won’t turn on Press power button it turns on and works normally I am just wondering why it doesn’t turn on automatically when I open the lid after shut down.

———-

As a Last Take this in for Service:

It's just after the beginning of 2020, so, if you have AppleCare Products - Mac - Apple, then it would still be an option. With that, then there is a high chance that service may be of no charge, should it be nothing on your part: Accidental or Intentional Damage

Whom to Contact:

Contact Apple:

Contact Apple, and setup a Genius Bar Appointment or see an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) in your local area.

Or...

Contact an AASP: 

1. Go Here: Find Locations - Apple Authorized Reseller
  2. Click: Service & Support
  3. Enter: your location information
  4. See: if there is an AASP nearby
  5. Contact: an AASP that shows up, and find out more about the services that they offer to fix the MacBook Pro.

Jan 12, 2020 3:18 AM in response to ks_1

ks_1 Said:

MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar doesn't start any more when I open the lid. It starts fine when I press the start button on the Touch Bar. Any ideas?

———-

Use Terminal:

1. Go To: Applications > Utilities

2. Open: Terminal

3. Type: This Command:

sudo nvram AutoBoot=%03

4. Press: return

5. Enter: Administrator Password

6. Press: return

7. Type: This Command:

logout

8. Close: Terminal

Note:

03 is the default

——-

Then, See if it Works...

1. Shut Down: your Mac

2. Close: the lid

3. Open: the lid

Jan 12, 2020 10:50 AM in response to ks_1

ks_1 Said:

I did NVRAM and SMC reset but it didn't help. With NVRAM reset (I have T1 chip and no starting sounds) during key pressing light grey screen appeared twice as a flash, so I suppose reset was ok.

———-

The NVRAM Reset May Not have been Ok:

Does your Mac power on, once the lid is lifted?

And are you able to login as a user?

If your screen flashes, then the reset was not OK. There will be no starting sounds.

Jan 14, 2020 6:12 AM in response to ks_1

ks_1 Said:

Shut down Mac Open the lid; Mac won’t turn on Press power button it turns on and works normally I am just wondering why it doesn’t turn on automatically when I open the lid after shut down.

———-

Call Apple:

This is not of normal behavior for a Mac. My last though is that the cable is loose between the Logic Board and the screen.

If you have an iPhone, request a prompt for screenshare. Enable the camera, and open the camera App. Show them what is occurring. That way, they can see this up front from your point of view.

MacBook Pro 2017 Touch Bar doesn't start any more when I open the lid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.