Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing movies in Home Sharing

I have setup a home sharing server for the family to locally download all the movies we have purchased over the years as well as some old family videos etc.

We have 2 accounts where we have purchased over the years. Say these accounts are called: eleanor@xxxx.com and otherhalf@xxxx.com. (these IDs are made up by the way).

Both these accounts are in the same Family Sharing scheme run by eleanor@xxxx.com

Our home sharing account for the whole family is running under eleanor@xxxx.com.

In this home sharing account, I have downloaded all our purchased movies both from eleanor@xxxx.com, otherhalf@xxxx.com and added our own videos on our server computer.

On my laptop running as eleanor@xxxx.com, if I connect to our home sharing server I see all the movies eleanor@xxxx.com purchased and all our home movies but none of otherhalf@xxxx.com's movies.

On the same laptop running as otherhalf@xxxx.com's, I see all the movies eleanor@xxxx.com purchased and all our home movies but none of their otherhalf@xxxx.com's movies also.

On the server itself as eleanor@xxxx.com I can play all the movies downloaded under eleanor@xxxx.com account.

Am I right in assuming the home share system is preventing us from sharing downloaded movies purchased on another family sharing account?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 6:23 AM

Following up on this question with Apple Support.

It appears the Movies imported into the TV app still have the 'purchaser' information on the Movies file as otherhalf@xxxx.com. (Use Get Info -> File -> purchased by) on them. It appears these movies were not 'blessed' properly by the id running the Home Sharing i.e. eleanor@xxxx.com.

If you copy the Movie out of TV file area, remove the Movie from the TV app and drag the copied file back into TV app the movie has been 'reblessed' and you will see the purchased by field will change to the name of your Home Sharing user.

Thanks to Apple Support for spending the time in figuring all this out with me.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2020 6:23 AM in response to eleanorsp8

Following up on this question with Apple Support.

It appears the Movies imported into the TV app still have the 'purchaser' information on the Movies file as otherhalf@xxxx.com. (Use Get Info -> File -> purchased by) on them. It appears these movies were not 'blessed' properly by the id running the Home Sharing i.e. eleanor@xxxx.com.

If you copy the Movie out of TV file area, remove the Movie from the TV app and drag the copied file back into TV app the movie has been 'reblessed' and you will see the purchased by field will change to the name of your Home Sharing user.

Thanks to Apple Support for spending the time in figuring all this out with me.

Missing movies in Home Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.