Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disappering user profile on Macbook Air 13" 2011

Hi!

I just bought a Macbook Air 13" 2011 second hand and updated to MacOS Sierra downloaded from the Apple site. Couple of days later when I was changing the username of the one and only account, my MacBook shut down due to the battery being low. Now when I started it, there are no users on the login screen but blank spaces for the username and pass, neither of the usernames and passwords work now (tried the old, and new one). Recovery mode also got locked due to some reason and no passwords work. The verbose mode is also not working for some reason. Pls help!

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 13, 2020 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 10:04 AM

Hello aashir.imran,

We appreciate the additional information! Thank you.

If you're seeing a lock icon, it sounds like that could be a prompt for a firmware password as shown in this resource: How to set a firmware password on your Mac

"Your Mac asks for the firmware password only when attempting to start up from a storage device other than the one selected in Startup Disk preferences, or when starting up from macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password when you see the lock icon and password field:

"

If that's what you're seeing, it may be a good idea to get in contact with the original owner of the device, if possible. This covers how a firmware password might possibly be removed:

"If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password or passcode, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase."

Hopefully this is useful. Have a great day.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 10:04 AM in response to aashir.imran

Hello aashir.imran,

We appreciate the additional information! Thank you.

If you're seeing a lock icon, it sounds like that could be a prompt for a firmware password as shown in this resource: How to set a firmware password on your Mac

"Your Mac asks for the firmware password only when attempting to start up from a storage device other than the one selected in Startup Disk preferences, or when starting up from macOS Recovery. Enter the firmware password when you see the lock icon and password field:

"

If that's what you're seeing, it may be a good idea to get in contact with the original owner of the device, if possible. This covers how a firmware password might possibly be removed:

"If you forgot your firmware password

If you can't remember your firmware password or passcode, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, and bring your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase."

Hopefully this is useful. Have a great day.

Jan 16, 2020 6:20 AM in response to aashir.imran

Hi aashir.imran,

Thanks for the post in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're not able to sign in to any user accounts on a MacBook Air.

When you say recovery mode is locked, what exactly are you seeing? Knowing this would help work out the steps you might need to take.

When you tried changing the username of the user account on the Mac, what process did you use?

Have you tried resetting the password using the steps here? Depending on the answers to the above, that may be a good starting point: Change or reset the password of a macOS user account

I hope this helps get you started.

Kind regards.

Jan 16, 2020 9:30 AM in response to raina_b22

First of all thank you for the reply, Becky!

I used the system preferences to change the username but not the password, my device turned off because of low battery as i mentioned before. After the restart it asked for the username and password and did not accept any of the information. I opened recovery menu to reset via terminal but was prompted to a screen with a lock on it and asking for a password, there i tried the password but was not able to unlock it. I think that lock is due to FileVault but I was unaware of that before this happened.

Disappering user profile on Macbook Air 13" 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.