Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 16 inch Keyboard/Trackpad not functional for 30 seconds after opening.

When I wake my new Macbook Pro 16 inch after it has gone into sleep mode, the keyboard and trackpad are disabled/not working for 15 seconds - 1 minute. Closing the laptop and reopening it doesn't resolve this issue; I still have to wait some time before I can use it. Interestingly enough, the Touchbar still works fine while the keyboard/trackpad is disabled.

External mice/keyboards work fine when the computer wakes up.

This issue has persisted since I picked up the machine. I thought that MacOS updates would solve this issue eventually, but I'm still having the issue.

Anyone else having this issue? Anyone have a solution?

System Details:

• Macbook Pro 16-inch, 2019
  • macOS Catalina 10.15.2
  • 2.4 GHz 8-core Intel Core i9
  • 32 GB RAM
  • Intel UHD 630 1536 MB/  AMD Radeon Pro 5500M
  • 2TB SSD

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 7:29 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Jan 21, 2020 1:25 PM in response to JohnRendleman

Likewise, I just got my MB Pro 16 (Late 2019, Catalina 10.15.2, 2.3GHz 8C Intel Core i9, Intel UHD GFX 630 1536 MB, AMD Radeon Pro 5500M, 1TBSSD, 64GB ram) and out of the blue, am having problems with my trackpad getting unsynched with my MB Pro. The pointer is not synched when I clicked anywhere on my screen. It's off target. I always have to re-start and sometimes it requires for me to shutdown, then power up again to resolve the issue. At times, it requires several re-starts! Annoying. I hope Apple is paying attention to this issue. Thanks.

Feb 9, 2020 5:23 PM in response to JohnRendleman

Yes, similar problem on my MBP 16 as well. I have to close the lid, wait for a few seconds, re-open it, sometimes it works to bring the keyboard and trackpad up, sometimes it will jump to a bluetooth search screen. Then I have to repeat the exercise to restore keyboard and trackpad. Hope Apple fix this because I don't think this would be a hardware problem, the Touch Bar works fine...hope Apple fix this soon!

Macbook Pro 16 inch Keyboard/Trackpad not functional for 30 seconds after opening.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.