Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not generating previews for Canon M-Raw Files

Today I found on my SD card with both M-raw and Full-Raw files (canon) that Finder had trouble generating previews for a part of the files. After some digging I found out that this problem was related to the M-Raw files of canon in finder.

So finder cannot generate previews for my canon M-Raw files, which is quite frustrating. Are more people having this issue and is there a solution to it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 11:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 11:29 AM

If your Canon camera is not listed in the digital camera RAW listing for Catalina, then Finder and Preview won't help you. I thought that Canon had .CR2 and .CR3 RAW files. What is this M-raw and Full-raw nomenclature?

11 replies

Jan 14, 2020 11:39 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi!

My camera is in this list . And the file format is .CR2 for both)

M-raw means medium raw. so This is a raw file with less megapixels (17 mp instead of 30mp)

This should only reduce the pixel count and thus file size, which can come in handy if you are not going to use the 30 megapixel.

I used this on previous versions of MacOS without any problems for previews.

Jan 14, 2020 12:56 PM in response to jules van I

Okay, but in previous versions of MacOS it was working, and this is quite a recent camera still...

I also have another problem which seems to be related to this one. Ejecting cards with Compressed raw files on it has trouble, I really have to force eject these cards. It looks like finder is maybe trying to still generate these preview files?

Jan 14, 2020 1:05 PM in response to jules van I

jules van I wrote:

Okay, but in previous versions of MacOS it was working, and this is quite a recent camera still...

Yes, you had mentioned that

I also have another problem which seems to be related to this one. Ejecting cards with Compressed raw files on it has trouble, I really have to force eject these cards. It looks like finder is maybe trying to still generate these preview files?

That I can't check. No Canon camera, no SD Cards, etc.

Finder not generating previews for Canon M-Raw Files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.