Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

All my music disappeared. No more library file. What the f happened??! Help please!

Hi. I'm a working musician so this issue is really important to me. I've combed through google search results and so far have been totally unable to find an answer or a modicum of one.

What happened: I opened my Music app and it was empty clean. I had over 350Gb or music on it and it's all gone, safe for the last album I imported (two days ago), and that U2 album Apple keeps shoving in our faces.

What I'm running: Catalina 10.15.2 on a 13in pro from mid-2012.

Notes: I haven't rebooted my macbook in at least a full week, but sometimes when I wake up, I can see that it must have rebooted by itself because the session is new. I've checked again and auto-update is definitely turned off, so it cannot be because of that.

Also, I am aware that Catalina screwed everybody when it killed iTunes off, but I've already been through my own purgatory to get a working library up and running on Music. Actually, since the upgrade, I've never had a single trouble with Music. It does what it's supposed to do. Well, it does screw up the Artwork thing but I can live with that. What I can't live with, is having lost all my work from these past two months –– I use the playlists organisation heavily for my original music.

Lastly, there's only a single "Music Library.musiclibrary" file in my "/Music" folder, last modified when I last closed my Music app (so five minutes ago), that one is useless. I've looked everywhere on the computer for any other file that would have been misplaced while I was sleeping but couldn't find any.

Inside "/Music/media/Music", I can still see all my files. Please, don't advise me to "simply" put them back into "/Music/media/Automatically Add to Music" as that will not help with my playlists, play counts, and other very important informations I absolutely need for my professional activities.

Thank you in advance for any answer.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 12:48 PM

Similar questions

24 replies

Jan 15, 2020 9:29 AM in response to monkhh

With Music closed you can make a manual copy of the Music Library.musiclibrary file, which you would then be able to restore should it happen again. One instance of data loss should be enough to persuade you that backups are a wise move. I'd recommend Time Machine as it is already built into your Mac, and has the ability to automatically capture multiple snapshots of your data which is better than a simple manually updated clone. Do you have any third party security software? Are you doing anything which might cause the computer to power off instantly rather than gracefully closing each application?

tt2

Jan 16, 2020 3:44 AM in response to monkhh

With iTunes the core file was iTunes Library.itl, with iTunes Library Extras.itdb and iTunes Library Genius.itdb as supporting files that could be rebuilt from data in the .itl if they were missing. If iTunes ever started with the .itl missing, but meant to be in the standard location of User's Music/iTunes/iTunes Library.itl, iTunes would create a new empty library as if it had just been installed for the first time. Music appears to behave in a similar fashion.

Each time you do something with the library that requires updating one of the database files a new copy is written out as Temp File.tmp, the original file deleted, and the new copy renamed to replace it. If something goes wrong with this process you can end up with no active library file, but a hidden .tmp file in the folder that has been left behind. Whether or not that file is a valid version of the library database may depend on exactly when in the process of being created things went wrong, and which database file was being updated at the time. If there is an existing .tmp file when the app wants to create a new one, then a suffix is added, e.g. Temp File 1.tmp is used next. If any .tmp files exist permanently in the folder then something went wrong.

This would appear to the mapping between old and new:

• iTunes Library.itl <=> Library.musicdb - the core component of the library that holds tracks & playlists
  • iTunes Library Extras.itdb <=> Extras.itdb
  • iTunes Library Genius.itdb <=> Genius.itdb
  • sentinel <=> sentinel
  • iTunes Media/.iTunes Preferences.plist <=> Preferences.plist (and Library Preferences.musicdb?)

There is also a new file called Application.musicdb which doesn't have a parallel, and I've no idea what data it contains.

In your situation I would assume the oldest of the .tmp files is the one most likely to be your lost library complete with playlists, though it is still pot luck as to which database file it was a temporary version of. To try it out you would, with Music closed, rename Library.musicdb as say Not Library.musicdb, create a copy of the .tmp file and rename as Library.musicdb, then launch Music and see what you have. Repeat until you get lucky or have to admit defeat.

If you've tried them all and didn't get your playlists back then you have exhausted this line of attack. You should still backup the whole of Music Library.musiclibrary going forward as you try to rebuild the library so that should it happen again you have a backup you can restore to.

Once you've settled on the version of Library.musicdb you're going to leave in place you should delete all of the .tmp files and other renamed copies within the .musiclibrary package (copy them elsewhere first, or make a copy of the whole package) so that Temp File.tmp is available for Music to use in future. Again make these edits/copies while Music is closed.

tt2

Jan 14, 2020 10:46 PM in response to monkhh

Is your Music folder backed up by Time Machine? Have you checked for hidden .tmp files in the Music folder? Do you still have the iTunes Library.itl file that would have been converted into a .musiclibrary file when you upgraded to Catalina or imported your iTunes library? Do the playlists exist on any device they might potentially be recovered from?

tt2

Jan 14, 2020 11:13 PM in response to turingtest2

Nope, I don't use time machine. I keep backups of the contents of my folders but that's useless in this case, since there are no playlists files inside the Music folder under Catalina... So my music folder hasn't changed, all my music is there. What's changed all of a sudden is that all my "presets" (= my playlists, playcounts, everything inside the app) disappeared. The app looked brand new, safe for the last album I imported. I did check for any .tmp files or changes and only noticed a change in the size of my Music Library.musiclibrary file (or rather I think it's somewhat smaller, anyways, no manipulation with that file amounted to anything).

I do not have access to a previous iTunes Library.itl file since I had to move all of my music files by hand from an external hard drive into this shining "new" Macbook that had been stupidly upgraded to Catalina. I had to do it by hand because for some strange reason, Music wouldn't open the iTunes Library.itl file that was still on that hard drive (it's not any more). And lastly, no the playlists only existed on this here Music app that I have been using for the past few months now...

I've read the first 30 pages on this forum and so far I haven't seen any proper reply to this issue which I'm not the only one to have encountered. On one particular thread (in which I think you were involved in), one person realized that they only encountered that issue (let's call it "Empty Music App" for now) when they upgraded their Catalina version. From there I think that for some reason, my computer updated itself last night (it does say "up to date") hence the Empty Music App. It's been 8 hours now so of course, I've imported everything back straight from the Music Folder, I had to, but unlike the one person for whom that magically made their playlists reappear, mine haven't and the issue is still there.

Any other insights please ?

Jan 15, 2020 9:03 AM in response to turingtest2

SNAP it just did it again!! I turned my computer off then went for a nap, woke up, turned it back on and Music is empty again, safe for the last album I added, again!

"To restore your playlists would need to have captured the Music Library.musiclibrary file for preference" > what do you mean by that? There is only one "Music Library.musiclibrary" file under Catalina, as far as I can see. If five days ago you had all of your music on Music and then suddenly there wasn't any, there would still only be one "Music Library.musiclibrary" file in your /Music folder and that file would automatically reflect your Music app interiors. The way I see it, when the app goes wrong, one single file that updates itself automatically is useless. Tell me if I'm wrong or if I'm not seeing what you're seeing there.

"or your old .itl file as a backstop" >> at the moment I do not have access to my older macbook and that is again irrelevant for the simple reason that I treated this Catalina laptop as a new working machine, since I couldn't get it to recognize my old iTunes preferences. That means that everything I did on this Music app has never been done on any other devices I might have owned previously. I hope that is now clear. I have lost things on an app that doesn't seem to store backups (since, I repeat, I haven't touched the "Music Library.musiclibrary" file –– ever –– but still, that file is useless to get my library back).

What about playlists on a device, any chance of recovering from there? >> no. I'm a working musician, you have no idea how much work went into that organizing; this computer is supposed to be the central hub of my whole studio and right now I'm feeling rightfully screwed.. And that shouldn't be acceptable as an answer anyways, since what I'm saying is tantamount to : if you upgrade your Catalina version right now, there's plenty chances you'll lose all of your data inside your Music App and that's normal.

If you've bought a 2000$ macbook, you were too stupid, because to have it play you your music every day, you have to spend an extra 1000$ on other iDevices just to make sure that all your work is backed up the Apple way.

I've been an Apple dummy for a long time now and I find it hard to believe that they screwed this up this badly –– this is major-level screw-up, Microsoft type screw-up ––...

There's gotta be a simpler way –– let's say I only have my laptop with me; a file hidden in a location I'd never have guessed, something else.

Jan 15, 2020 9:42 AM in response to turingtest2

The fact that it happened again does kind of support my assertion that the Music Library.musiclibrary file is useless/not the issue. I close the app, shut down my computer, gracefully, when it wakes up, all my music and preferences are gone, the file hasn't changed in size (I've checked), just in its "last modification date".

I am not using any third party security software nor am I doing anything that might cause the computer to power off instantly. Yesterday particularly, I had only Music and Safari opened, trying to understand what happened. Imported the music back straight from my /Music folder, which took forever (again, we're talking 350GB of data, it takes some time), shut the app down, then the computer; turned it back on, opened the app back up, and nothing –– music gone again, test playlist gone too. Doing it a second time the exact same way kinda seems pointless. Is there any other file somewhere on one of the two drives that works with Music and gives it its playlists information beside the pointless Music Library.musiclibrary file? Is there any other idea around about solving this problem?

Thank you

Jan 15, 2020 6:42 PM in response to monkhh

So I've just had a deeper dive into what goes on within the .musiclibrary file when you work with Music. I've added the following into the user tip in the section which deals with using .tmp files to restore a recent state of the library.

In macOS 10.15 Catalina the Music Library.musiclibrary file is a package that contains equivalents for the library files that would previously have been in the iTunes folder. Internally there is a file called Library.musicdb, which would appear to be the real analog to the .itl file. Music creates Temp File.tmp files within the .musiclibrary package when updating the library, so it is possible that in a corrupted library there will be a .tmp file that can be restored if you right click on Music Library.musiclibrary and Show Package Contents.

I'm hoping that if you look inside your Music Library.musiclibrary package you might see the .tmp files that represent earlier states of your library.

tt2

Jan 15, 2020 10:57 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi tt2,

I've been experimenting with your new addition (I found 5 .tmp files inside Music Library.musiclibrary) and it still doesn't solve it. Or I maybe I'm not doing it properly. From what I've gathered from your latest reply and another extensive pouring over your tip in the user tip section, Library.musicdb is what used to be the old iTunes Library.itl file, and the .tmp files inside Music Library.musiclibrary are what used to be the .itl files contained in the old /Previous iTunes Libraries folder. Therefore, getting rid of Library.musicdb and giving its place to any of those .tmp files should do the trick and restore the app as it was –– when that .tmp file was last modified. Quit the app, start it again. Then if I understood that correctly, it doesn't work, as nothing changed every time. The only thing that changed is that I lost everything when, desperate and curious, I deleted Library.musicdb and left one .tmp (so we're still in a logical world). Everything came back when I replaced the copies I'd made of everything that was inside the package when I first opened it.

That makes me think that either (1) these files got somehow corrupted, which I don't totally believe as 4/5 of these files, once given the Library.musicdb name, produced a full app –– still without the playlists, and with all my music classified as having been added Yesterday (safe from that same one album that is still marked as having been added a week ago) ––; or (2) these .tmp files hold no data whatsoever concerning playlists and playcounts and whatnot preferences.. What do you reckon?

Thank you again

Jan 19, 2020 5:44 AM in response to turingtest2

If any .tmp files exist permanently in the folder then something went wrong. > Then that should normally be it, wouldn't it? In my case, I have .tmp files up to 5. I suppose these should be what's causing all the mayhem but simply deleting them so as to only leave one single .tmp file (or even no .tmp file at all) doesn't cut it either. That's one of the first thing I tried as soon as I read your explanation about the .musiclibrary package.

I've just tried trashing my Library.musicdb file, and emptying my trash, and the library appeared to be unchanged. > mine totally disappeared when I did that three days ago. I thought it was a good sign. But still, none of it makes sense. Three days have passed, I still have no way to restore my playlists and my work has been thrown in total disarray by it. That being said, upon trying to make do with what appears to be Apple's biggest blunder in my opinion, I've kept on working.

Today, while working with Music again, I've realized that yet another huge change had happened in its functionalities. Now, whenever I add new music into the app (may it be by putting it in the "add to music" folder or by importing it), it goes into a new folder located in... "Music/Media/Music/Music" which is ridiculous.

Somehow no modifications I make on any songs inside the app registers either, the files remain in that new location the way they got there (i.e.: changing artist name of song A won't translate in the creation of a new folder with that artist name). It's basically as if my library up to three days ago had been archived and a new one added on top of it, except that none of them are useful. I also have two hidden Media Preferences.plist files now, one inside "Music/Media", the other inside "Music/Media/Music". Honestly I thought Apple was all about making things "easy".. God.

Out of time for now, but I will look again later. > any better insights now?

Feb 10, 2020 9:47 AM in response to monkhh

I have a very large music collection 180K in tracks, it takes all day for Music to import, then its in there, great, I don't have my ratings but whatever, blah blah blah. Then I close app, when I reopen it. Everything is gone. REALLY COOL. So apparently Apple doesn't want us to have files that we actually own and just wants us to give 9.99 for their BS service... the problem is I DJ so I can't stream files, I need them to live where they live and be able to access them via Serato, Serato relies on Apple Music...

The reason I pay a premium for Apple products was because they worked properly, but I guess credit cards, tv shows and cars have become the priority leaving apple customers wanting to jump back to an inferior product... that works.

Feb 20, 2020 3:54 AM in response to sixtwentysix

"So apparently Apple doesn't want us to have files that we actually own and just wants us to give 9.99 for their BS service... " That would be straight up CRIMINAL. What makes you say that? If it were true, someone's got to ring a bell on this.

Have you found a solution in your case?? It's been going on for 2 months now in mine..

Mar 10, 2020 7:15 AM in response to arussellbolio

KIND OF.

I've been on the phone with Apple too, last workaround I found came from them. They basically told me to try restoring my Music library in Safe boot –– which wasn't working either until they gave me the advice (apple vodoo). Since then, things have been working fine but I don't know how long it'll last. It's only been twenty days.

So basically : keep multiple copies of your Musiclibary file ("multiple" because I've had that joke where 5 out of 6 copies wouldn't restore my preferences) some place safe. When manually restoring Musiclibrary doesn't work anymore, try in Safe Boot mode.

All my music disappeared. No more library file. What the f happened??! Help please!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.