Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos 5.0 (121.17.170) will not use Raw as original

Why does Photos fail to enable editing of Raw originals? I have done this previously.

Now I get a progress indicator that appears to show the process is complete, but the window does not go away and Photos locks up and I have to use Force Quit. (I tired to post a screen shot, but that apparently is not allowed. What is the point of the 'image insertion button, one wonders.)

The photos in today's problems are from an Olympus OM-D EM5 Mark III.

Could it be that Apple has not updated its support for newer cameras?

Even if it hasn't updated the raw file support, shouldn't there be an error trap so that I don't have to resort to a Force Quit?

Answered my own question. I can use raw files from older cameras I have: .cr2 for Canon and .orf for another (older) Olympus I have.

Come on Apple, the EM5 Mark III has been available since the end of November 2019.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 14, 2020 8:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 4:28 AM

Here is the list of currently supported camera models: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina - Apple Support

• The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II5 is supported, but not yet Mark III.

There is a footnote: ."Excluding RAW images taken using High Res Shot"; be prepared that the RAW support for your camera may have the same restriction, if and when it will be released.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 4:28 AM in response to Peter Johnston3

Here is the list of currently supported camera models: Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina - Apple Support

• The Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II5 is supported, but not yet Mark III.

There is a footnote: ."Excluding RAW images taken using High Res Shot"; be prepared that the RAW support for your camera may have the same restriction, if and when it will be released.

Jan 15, 2020 2:26 AM in response to markwmsn

Thanks for that. I was not aware of the process. It's the first time I've had a camera new enough to be caught up in the problem.

However, my observation about the lack of an error trap stands. Photos claimed to be switching RAW/JPG masters and then locked up. It took me over an hour figuring out what was causing the problem.

In the process I rebuilt/repaired the database of the library, only to then discover that had the consequence of losing the categories in the library. Happily, several hours later and Photos had rebuilt the categories and searches came back with results.

Photos 5.0 (121.17.170) will not use Raw as original

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.