Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos taken on a Canon R5 - The Photos program locks when I try to "use RAW as original"

I just bought a Canon EOS R5 camera. I loaded my first photos to my Photos Library today. When I tried to switch to "use RAW as original" (I shoot JPG plus RAW) -- the program locked up with a message that it was converting the master to RAW. I had to force close -- I tried it three times -- all three times, the program locked up. I tried switching older photos in the library to RAW, taken with my Canon Rebel T6i, with no problem.

There was a question in the "community" regarding the same issue with Canon R5 photos - but the answer assumed it was happening to all photos in the library. In my situation, my older photos using a different camera can concert to RAW without a problem.

Is this a problem with the Camera or with Photos? Does anyone know? Is there a fix?

I'm running Catalina, 10.15.7 on a iMac. The Photos program is 5.0 (161.0.120).

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 7, 2021 10:12 AM

Hi -

According to this list, the R5 isn't supported by Catalina. The list for Big Sur says it is. To be honest I'm surprised it's even allowed you to import them - but you may have fooled it by importing jpg at the same time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210191

So the fix is an upgrade to Big Sur

Your alternative is to use Adobe DNG Converter to first convert them to a DNG file.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 7, 2021 10:12 AM in response to Suzq

Hi -

According to this list, the R5 isn't supported by Catalina. The list for Big Sur says it is. To be honest I'm surprised it's even allowed you to import them - but you may have fooled it by importing jpg at the same time.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210191

So the fix is an upgrade to Big Sur

Your alternative is to use Adobe DNG Converter to first convert them to a DNG file.

Mar 7, 2021 3:15 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Tony,

Thank you for your quick reply -- and the perfect solution. I upgraded my iMac to Big Sur --- and it solved the issue. I can now "use RAW as original" quickly - just as before. : D

I'm very grateful to you -- otherwise I would have gone down paths unnecessary. I have been dragging my feet to upgrade to Big Sur. I really like the cleaner look of my desktop and email!

Susan

Photos taken on a Canon R5 - The Photos program locks when I try to "use RAW as original"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.