Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When support for Olympus .ORF RAW files???

I have an Olympus OMD E-M5 Mark 3 and a TG-6 and the APP Affinity Photo for my IPAD PRO 2020 and I can't edit RAW files for my cameras.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 13

Posted on Jun 29, 2020 11:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 30, 2020 4:30 AM

According to the most recent (31 March 2020) raw Apple Support document Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina, neither the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III nor Olympus Stylus Tough TG-6 are supported. The ORF file format is supported for other Olympus camera models though. I was able to open an ORF image file from the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. I tried opening image files from the Mark III and TG-6 models in Affinity Photo for iPad without success. Curiously, Affinity Photo for Mac will open them. Conceivably this inconsistency will be resolved with forthcoming support for iPad. Whether the recent announcement by Olympus for the divestiture of its imaging business impacts future support for these two models is unknown.

All is not lost though. You have two options on iPad. Use another app which can open and edit the ORF files from the two models or convert them to Adobe’s non-proprietary, archival raw format Digital Negative (DNG). Adobe Lightroom for iPad can do both. Once converted you can import the DNG raw files into Affinity Photo for iPad. Adobe Lightroom for iPad is free to download. To edit raw image files requires a subscription. However, no subscription is required to convert from ORF to DNG and then export.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III ORF converted to DNG and opened in Affinity Photo for iPad

Olympus Stylus Tough TG-6 ORF converted to DNG and opened in Affinity Photo for iPad

RAW, actually - Affinity Spotlight

Appendix: Raw files and DNG - Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 30, 2020 4:30 AM in response to JordiEnric

According to the most recent (31 March 2020) raw Apple Support document Digital camera RAW formats supported by iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina, neither the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III nor Olympus Stylus Tough TG-6 are supported. The ORF file format is supported for other Olympus camera models though. I was able to open an ORF image file from the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. I tried opening image files from the Mark III and TG-6 models in Affinity Photo for iPad without success. Curiously, Affinity Photo for Mac will open them. Conceivably this inconsistency will be resolved with forthcoming support for iPad. Whether the recent announcement by Olympus for the divestiture of its imaging business impacts future support for these two models is unknown.

All is not lost though. You have two options on iPad. Use another app which can open and edit the ORF files from the two models or convert them to Adobe’s non-proprietary, archival raw format Digital Negative (DNG). Adobe Lightroom for iPad can do both. Once converted you can import the DNG raw files into Affinity Photo for iPad. Adobe Lightroom for iPad is free to download. To edit raw image files requires a subscription. However, no subscription is required to convert from ORF to DNG and then export.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark III ORF converted to DNG and opened in Affinity Photo for iPad

Olympus Stylus Tough TG-6 ORF converted to DNG and opened in Affinity Photo for iPad

RAW, actually - Affinity Spotlight

Appendix: Raw files and DNG - Adobe Digital Negative Converter

When support for Olympus .ORF RAW files???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.