Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv app

In the Apple TV App on my Mac i have stored 65 home videos. However, when I connect to the library from my Apple TV, or the Apple TV apps on my iPad and iPhone it only shows 42, some are missing. This never was an issue whilst using iTunes, I tried booting both devices, reset my Apple TV but nothing helped. I have seen more issues like these on the forums but none had a good solution for me. My home videos are slideshows exported by iMovie so I would expect the format to be compatible. Any help would be highly appreciated.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 4:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 4:10 PM

Apple TV has specific parameters as to what it can support (see below). You can also try using something like Handbrake, which has a preset for Apple TV.

H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p

H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 4:10 PM in response to mdoubleu

Apple TV has specific parameters as to what it can support (see below). You can also try using something like Handbrake, which has a preset for Apple TV.

H.264/HEVC SDR video up to 2160p, 60 fps, Main/Main 10 profile

HEVC Dolby Vision (Profile 5)/HDR10 (Main 10 profile) up to 2160p

H.264 Baseline Profile level 3.0 or lower with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 fps, Simple profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

Jan 15, 2020 11:15 PM in response to vazandrew

Hi Vazandrew, you hit the right spot! yesterday evening I started thinking this direction as well. In the "old" times I exported my slideshows directly for iTunes which worked perfectly. But with iTunes gone iMovie no longer supports this so I exported in probes quality. This is where the issues started. Shame Apple does not have the same user friendliness as before where different applications matched output without any issues. I tried to share a file in high quality but this was not supported by Apple TV either. Handbrake solved my issue. Thank you so much for your help!!!

apple tv app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.