Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the latest MacOS Server app that still includes Mail?

I need a Mail server, on a Mac Mini (late 2012)

I updated the Mini to MacOS 10.13.6: the Server is present but does not run. It prints the message "This server is not supported on MacOS 10.13.6"

How best to obtain a Server app that includes Apple Mail ?

Return to MacOS 10.12 ? Or what?

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 3:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2020 7:18 PM

Sorry, you may be out of luck.

OS X Server 5.4 includes Mail server as a visible Service. It is compatible with OS X 10.13.x High Sierra. v5.4 was discontinued Sep 2018.

I assume you have NEVER purchased OS X Server 5.x from the AppStore. Until recently, you could download Server 5.4 from the AppStore if you had OS X 10.13.x running, but that may not be the case after the new year. If you've purchased it before, there was a way to re-download it, but that too seem to be difficult now.

Even without v5.4, you CAN still run Mail services - just not through the Server admin software. There are GUI alternatives out there that will run on OS X.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2020 7:18 PM in response to prowat

Sorry, you may be out of luck.

OS X Server 5.4 includes Mail server as a visible Service. It is compatible with OS X 10.13.x High Sierra. v5.4 was discontinued Sep 2018.

I assume you have NEVER purchased OS X Server 5.x from the AppStore. Until recently, you could download Server 5.4 from the AppStore if you had OS X 10.13.x running, but that may not be the case after the new year. If you've purchased it before, there was a way to re-download it, but that too seem to be difficult now.

Even without v5.4, you CAN still run Mail services - just not through the Server admin software. There are GUI alternatives out there that will run on OS X.

Jan 16, 2020 12:00 AM in response to prowat

I migrated out of Apple's mail server years ago. It is REALLY rudimentary and even if you go back to the last known working version, you will run into all sorts of issues using it with mail clients. Seriously, it barely even has a webmail interface.

Your best solution is to move to Kerio Connect. It's super easy to use and setup. The support is great and it runs on just about anything and is compatible with all devices and platforms. You will have to purchase it and it's a little pricey. But it is WELL worth it.

As much as I hate Apple having abandoned this space, their email server services are definitely best left in the past. It was horrible even when it did work.

Just wish all the other services didn't go away with it. I miss netboot and chat server :(

Jan 16, 2020 9:38 AM in response to Celia Wessen

You're right, Apple has removed Server from the App store in OS X 10.13.x High Sierra, and also in OS X 10.12. Server was present and running in 10.12 before the New year, but if you install 10.12 now, in 2020, which is what I had just done, the Server is absent. The Server App appears, but if one tries to run it, it simply says Server 5.xx is no longer supported and does not allow it to run.

Is there any way to allow Server to run? i.e. get past the "no longer supported" message?

If Server does not run, then my websites will not be functional, correct?

Jan 16, 2020 10:56 AM in response to prowat

What version of OS X Server do you have installed on the machine? And was this version working before you upgraded this machine to 10.13.6?

Even without a working Server.app, your services may be installed and running, especially if they were running before the 10.13.6 upgrade. You need to use some text commands to manipulate them via Terminal.

What is the latest MacOS Server app that still includes Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.