Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

xpc.launchd[1] com.apple.dpd -- daemon fails to launch and tries again every second

Hi

Was trying to identify what process was making my external HDD spin up every 30 seconds while iMac was in sleep mode when I checked the error logs and got sidetracked with this:

The dpd daemon (which I understand is there to catch request to use the display as an external monitor) is trying to load every 1 second - failing - and repeating forever.

I don't need this daemon (I'll never try to use the iMac as an external display) - can I prevent this daemon from attempting to start up (or maybe change the respawn frequency to 24hrs etc) ?

System

iMac (27 inch, Late 2012)

Mojave 10.14.6

Error log (from Console system.log)

Jan 16 09:17:47 Tims-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dpd[85882]): Service exited with abnormal code: 75

Jan 16 09:17:47 Tims-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dpd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds.

Jan 16 09:17:48 Tims-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dpd[85883]): Service exited with abnormal code: 75

Jan 16 09:17:48 Tims-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dpd): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing respawn out by 1 seconds.

Jan 16 09:17:49 Tims-iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.dpd[85884]): Service exited with abnormal code: 75

thanks

tim

iMac 27", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 11:55 PM

** Solution **

There may be consequences to this fix I've not spotted (and it may need to be re-applied after OSX updates) but it does appear to fix the issue for me. I have suspended com.apple.dpd.plist daemon at startup as follows:

• Reboot with cmd-R to Recovery mode
  • Once rebooted in Recovery mode, open Terminal and in order to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) to all root user to edit system files, type: csrutil disable
  • Reboot again
  • Open Terminal and go to /system/library/launchdaemons/ where you rename com.apple.dpd.plist
  • Reboot back to Recovery mode for a second time
  • Once rebooted in Recovery mode, open Terminal and type: csrutil enable
  • Reboot for one final time and the dpd daemon should be prevented from running at launch. Checked system logs and the process is no longer attempting to run (and fail)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 11:55 PM in response to timp1971

** Solution **

There may be consequences to this fix I've not spotted (and it may need to be re-applied after OSX updates) but it does appear to fix the issue for me. I have suspended com.apple.dpd.plist daemon at startup as follows:

• Reboot with cmd-R to Recovery mode
  • Once rebooted in Recovery mode, open Terminal and in order to disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) to all root user to edit system files, type: csrutil disable
  • Reboot again
  • Open Terminal and go to /system/library/launchdaemons/ where you rename com.apple.dpd.plist
  • Reboot back to Recovery mode for a second time
  • Once rebooted in Recovery mode, open Terminal and type: csrutil enable
  • Reboot for one final time and the dpd daemon should be prevented from running at launch. Checked system logs and the process is no longer attempting to run (and fail)

xpc.launchd[1] com.apple.dpd -- daemon fails to launch and tries again every second

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.