Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unwanted app launches from iOS/iPad OS Safari

Since I installed iPad OS 13 when I open Safari it frequently instantly launches another app, and I find myself, not in Safari, but unexpectedly in YouTube with a loud video blaring at me.

Is there a way to set the default to never, ever doing this? This is especially true if I just launched Safari (what’s a case where anyone would want or expect this?) — but ideally l would prefer Safari (and for that matter all apps) to always ask permission to before launching another app.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 6:17 AM

Actually, I figured out a way to reduce the effects of this behavior by setting my Google search prefs to not open search results in a new tab. If the results do open a new tab, that tab stays open, and when Safari is launched the next time the tab opens with it and immediately re-launches the app without warning.

This is a workaround, but it allows me to suffer less from the terrible design decision to allow Safari to auto-launch apps without alerting the user, and not even providing an option to change this default.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 6:17 AM in response to Skydiver119

Actually, I figured out a way to reduce the effects of this behavior by setting my Google search prefs to not open search results in a new tab. If the results do open a new tab, that tab stays open, and when Safari is launched the next time the tab opens with it and immediately re-launches the app without warning.

This is a workaround, but it allows me to suffer less from the terrible design decision to allow Safari to auto-launch apps without alerting the user, and not even providing an option to change this default.

Jan 16, 2020 5:23 AM in response to anomalogue

It sounds to me like you have a malicious ad.

Double tap the home button to force quit safari (you will see the previews for open apps, flick safari off the screen). Single tap the home button to exit that mode.

Go into the settings and iCloud and if you have syncing for safari turned on, turn it off.

Still in the settings, go into safari and throw away your history. (These steps are to keep that ad from reloading from the cache)

Force your ipad to reboot (I think with your model it’s a volume button and the power button to force a reboot? Or in the settings, under general, you can tell it to reboot)

Enter your passcode after it reboots and open Safari.

Bear in mind if this is indeed a malicious ad, you can very easily pick it back up by going back to that site.

Unwanted app launches from iOS/iPad OS Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.