Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Health Resting calories higher than BMR?

Hello all,

from the description of what “resting calories “ are, it seems it should be equal to BMR calculations. It seems that my Apple Watch calculates my resting calories about 400-500 more than all other BMR calculators.

When we add active calories on top of that, the numbers seem to be very inaccurate.

I even turned off the heart rate sensor on my watch to see if this would fix the resting calories, but did not change them.

Please help.

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 6

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 7:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 29, 2020 6:02 AM

Resting calories are a generality in apps. Resting calories vary with composition. Fat burns less calories than lean tissue, lean tissue burns more than fat tissue.

Resting calories of people with identical weight would be higher for the person with less body fat.

Apple’s concept of “resting energy” does not correspond strictly to standard BMR the “resting energy” calories isn’t meant to be BMR but is based on the “non-workout” activity we do on a given day

Based on apples description of what resting energy is in the health app, it sounds like it is not traditional BMR, it sounds like they are just estimating non high activity calories burned based on heart rate. So this would be any activity not strenuous enough for Apple Watch to classify it as active heart rate. So I believe it varies if you are standing vs sitting. But again, just a guess based on the way the health app describes resting energy.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 29, 2020 6:02 AM in response to K_daisy

Resting calories are a generality in apps. Resting calories vary with composition. Fat burns less calories than lean tissue, lean tissue burns more than fat tissue.

Resting calories of people with identical weight would be higher for the person with less body fat.

Apple’s concept of “resting energy” does not correspond strictly to standard BMR the “resting energy” calories isn’t meant to be BMR but is based on the “non-workout” activity we do on a given day

Based on apples description of what resting energy is in the health app, it sounds like it is not traditional BMR, it sounds like they are just estimating non high activity calories burned based on heart rate. So this would be any activity not strenuous enough for Apple Watch to classify it as active heart rate. So I believe it varies if you are standing vs sitting. But again, just a guess based on the way the health app describes resting energy.

Apple Health Resting calories higher than BMR?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.