Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanner setup issues with Catalina

I have hardware printer/scanner/multifunction that was used on my Mac mini previously and now that I switched to Catalina, it doesn't connect. Would have to consider buying VueScan at $79 for a work around but that doesn't seem fair. Apple points the finger at HP and HP points it back at Apple for switching to 64 bit software. This isn't fair to the consumer and I see the potential for a class action.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 10:04 AM

8 replies

Jan 16, 2020 10:10 AM in response to drtony1

HP can choose to update their software or not, Apple can choose to update their OS or not, neither one is bound to hold the others. HP chose not to do anything and they had access to Catalina months before it released to make that decision.

if your HP software which HP is responsible for does not work with your current iteration os macOS you can scan using review.app in your applications folder provided the scanner supports TWAIN

Jan 16, 2020 11:16 AM in response to drtony1

An additional point - you can scan using Apple's Image Capture app. It works but is not "full featured". Some people have reported some issues with it being slow when working with Catalina. I don't know if that is universal or specific to selected scanners, though. One final thing. Often, the scanner providers will eventually update their software, even though they are not timely in responding to an OS change, so I would keep checking back with your scanner's support/download site.

Jan 16, 2020 11:38 AM in response to Ronasara

FWIW, I use Preview (the scanning part is identical to Image Capture). It works in Catalina just as it used to work in Mojave and before. AFAICT it is not slower nor faster.

The one thing that you may be used to that I think does not work is if you are used to start the scan from the scanner itself.

I just choose File->Import from <scanner name>... and scan away.

Jan 16, 2020 8:40 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I did try VueScan. The software provides a solution to using the software, however 2 things: 1) It does not function the way the previous scanner software works with Adobe Acrobat which is preferable, and 2) why do I have to pay $39 for a watered down software package or $79 for their full blown software which again doesn't function like the software originally supplied by the Scanner Hardware maker? Apple points the finger at the hardware when they switched to a OS that requires 64 bit drivers and HP points the responsibility at Apple for making the OS. In the end, the user suffers. On the other hand, the hardware still functions with Windows.

Scanner setup issues with Catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.