Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2019 MacPro tied up by 7200 rpm HDD?

ALL my stuff is on a 3 TB HDD. As you can see, it is not very fast.

Have I completely nullified the advantages of this high speed

2019 MacPro by being tied to this HDD? Photoshop & Premiere Pro.

Wont it cost a fortune to migrate to 3 TB SSD?

Using a USB 3 A port for this HDD.

Thanks anyone.

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 1:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 7:06 AM

What Video editors found is that the slowness of only one Rotating Magnetic drive, on which you stored ALL your files, DID slow down an otherwise speedy Mac. Too much time was spent waiting for that ONE drive.

When you store Source materials on one drive, Destination materials on a different drive, Scratch or Libraries on yet another Drive, and NONE of those other types on the Boot drive, you regain the speediness. Source files needed are read-ahead, and files being written are first written to a System RAM buffer, then copied to the drive when it becomes available.

When all video/photos are on ONE drive, the system waits for each group of Reads or each group of writes to complete before beginning another. When you have multiple drives, the system can overlap the I/O across the many drives and get your speed back again.

So for speedy operation you need MORE drives, not necessarily really fast SDD drives for everything.

Compared to the cost of the new computer, a few hundred more for additional drives is cheap.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2020 7:06 AM in response to Steve Zavodny

What Video editors found is that the slowness of only one Rotating Magnetic drive, on which you stored ALL your files, DID slow down an otherwise speedy Mac. Too much time was spent waiting for that ONE drive.

When you store Source materials on one drive, Destination materials on a different drive, Scratch or Libraries on yet another Drive, and NONE of those other types on the Boot drive, you regain the speediness. Source files needed are read-ahead, and files being written are first written to a System RAM buffer, then copied to the drive when it becomes available.

When all video/photos are on ONE drive, the system waits for each group of Reads or each group of writes to complete before beginning another. When you have multiple drives, the system can overlap the I/O across the many drives and get your speed back again.

So for speedy operation you need MORE drives, not necessarily really fast SDD drives for everything.

Compared to the cost of the new computer, a few hundred more for additional drives is cheap.

2019 MacPro tied up by 7200 rpm HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.