Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to sync music on iMac Catalina on my iPhone 6 by way of finder and it will not allow me to siync manually

I am not able to sync music from my iMac (Catalina)to my iPhone 6 using finder. It gives me the message to remove all music first and will not let me sync manually

iPhone 4s, iOS 9

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 2:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 2:53 PM

Hello Sharri,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're unable to manually sync music from your iMac to iPhone 6 using Finder unless you first remove all music on the iPhone. You've come to the right place for help.

Was the music currently on your iPhone synced from this specific Mac or a different computer? If it's synced from this Mac, do you have more than one iTunes library (Switch libraries with the Music app or Apple TV app in macOS Catalina)? The reason why I ask is that an iOS device can only sync to one iTunes library at a time. When syncing to a new computer or library, it is expected behavior that the synced content currently on an iOS device is erased and replaced with content from the current computer or media library.

You'll need to either switch to the iTunes library that the iPhone is synced with, or remove the music currently on the iPhone in that scenario. You can then select "Manually manage music, movies, and TV shows" under the General tab of the Finder window, and sync selected music to your iPhone after:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Sync music between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2020 2:53 PM in response to sharrifrommidland

Hello Sharri,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities! I understand that you're unable to manually sync music from your iMac to iPhone 6 using Finder unless you first remove all music on the iPhone. You've come to the right place for help.

Was the music currently on your iPhone synced from this specific Mac or a different computer? If it's synced from this Mac, do you have more than one iTunes library (Switch libraries with the Music app or Apple TV app in macOS Catalina)? The reason why I ask is that an iOS device can only sync to one iTunes library at a time. When syncing to a new computer or library, it is expected behavior that the synced content currently on an iOS device is erased and replaced with content from the current computer or media library.

You'll need to either switch to the iTunes library that the iPhone is synced with, or remove the music currently on the iPhone in that scenario. You can then select "Manually manage music, movies, and TV shows" under the General tab of the Finder window, and sync selected music to your iPhone after:

Use the Finder to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Sync music between your Mac and iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Take care.

Jan 20, 2020 7:51 PM in response to i_rina

Thank you for the information. I have always had the same iTunes account and have been able to transfer music to all my apple products from this computer until the iMac updated to Catalina. Today I was able to drag and drop to the iPad Air Series 3 and then to an older iPad from music. Then I tried the iPhone 6 again by drag and drop and suddenly was successful. Not sure what happened here today and appreciate your prompt help.

I am trying to sync music on iMac Catalina on my iPhone 6 by way of finder and it will not allow me to siync manually

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.