Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to use data on eSIM whilst using the physical SIM

Question: Does anyone know why access to data on the iPhone XS eSIM is turned off whilst one is using the phone on the physical SIM?

The Issue:

1. I have an iPhone XS.
  2. Both physical and eSIM have been activated
  3. The eSim has my data plan
  4. Whilst using the physical SIM on the primary line, access to data on the eSIM is turned off (the signal bars go to zero)
  5. I am unable to surf the internet, send emails, or use data dependent apps such as maps whilst I am on the phone.

Explanations I have received so far:

1. On the first contact, the carrier's phone tech team claimed the issue was resolved but turned out to unrelated to cellular switching. Still does not work after cellular switching was turned off and on seemingly for posterity.
  2. On the second contact, the carrier's phone tech team recommended I take the phone into a store
  3. On the third contact, the in-store team recommended I speak with Apple as they are unaware of the issue and do not know how to resolve it
  4. Wait for it...An Apple genius claimed this is a requirement of the CRTC (the Canadian equivalent to the US FCC) which "requires that the primary line have more features than the eSIM to prevent people from buying data in countries like Thailand for cheap and then using it in Canada." I could not have made that up myself. This response is both illogical and insultingly uninformed. So here I am...

iPhone XS, iOS 13

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 3:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 5:23 PM

4. Whilst using the physical SIM on the primary line, access to data on the eSIM is turned off (the signal bars go to zero)
5. I am unable to surf the internet, send emails, or use data dependent apps such as maps whilst I am on the phone.

When you say "using the physical SIM on the primary line", is that SIM's data enabled?

If so, that is a documented limitation of the eSim/SIM phones.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 5:23 PM in response to Mr_Gibrish

When you say "using the physical SIM on the primary line", is that SIM's data enabled?

If so, that is a documented limitation of the eSim/SIM phones.

See >>> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT209044

Unable to use data on eSIM whilst using the physical SIM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.