Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Care in India

Hi,

I have two questions.

I recently purchased the new MacBook Air in Singapore along with the AppleCare+ for Mac. I specifically told the salesman that we were tourists and would be using it in INDIA. He assured me that it wasn't a problem. Now a friend of mine told me that because Apple doesn't have any Apple Stores in India and only has Reseller partners, it doesn't honour the warranty and AppleCare protection. So my question is, is this true?

My second question is, I intend to purchase an iPad Pro in India so if the above is true, does it make any sense buy the AppleCare protection for it? Because apparently for iPad, the warranty and AppleCare protection is valid only in the country of purchase.

Please help.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 8:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 6:40 AM

You are addressing other end users here, not Apple employees, so you will get answers but not something "official." You may have to call Apple HQ in California to get an answer or use this link to search warranties:

https://www.apple.com/legal/contact/

As for what this end user knows about warranties, Apple's regular warranty for computer is international. You will need to look at the the documents that came with your AppleCare package to see if it is also. Or look at warranty section in the above link.

Apple's posted warranty policy on iPhones and iPads may be what your friend is recalling:

From: https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ipad-english.html

I recommend you NOT purchase that iPad Pro outside your home country.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2020 6:40 AM in response to ChristopherWhyte

You are addressing other end users here, not Apple employees, so you will get answers but not something "official." You may have to call Apple HQ in California to get an answer or use this link to search warranties:

https://www.apple.com/legal/contact/

As for what this end user knows about warranties, Apple's regular warranty for computer is international. You will need to look at the the documents that came with your AppleCare package to see if it is also. Or look at warranty section in the above link.

Apple's posted warranty policy on iPhones and iPads may be what your friend is recalling:

From: https://www.apple.com/legal/warranty/products/ipad-english.html

I recommend you NOT purchase that iPad Pro outside your home country.

Jan 17, 2020 8:26 AM in response to ChristopherWhyte

I wish that I had better news...

It seems to be the case that warranties in India are ALLOWED by Law to only be honored at the PLACE of Purchase - the actual STORE - even if you bought an Apple product across the street in Mumbai, an Apple Authorized Reseller/Service Provider could refuse to honor the warranty

That said, even if AppleCare+ = an EXTENDED Warranty policy = was valid in countries other than its purchase (it isn't, simply because it is a legal contract that must be adjudicated under the set of laws under which it was executed/bought), it was run afoul of this wacky policy

A respected member here, the late seventy one, familiar with doing all kinds of business in India called it "The Wild West"

Apple has been looking for ways to find it possible from a business standpoint to do business under Apple control for years - but India's laws require that ALL businesses be majority owned by an Indian entity - and Apple doesn't do partners, much less majority ones

I am unsure how you would go about cancelling the Singapore AppleCare+ policy. You may not want to since you will have to return to Singapore to get warranty service anyway.

It MAY be possible to find some ROGUE Apple Service Provider that actually HONORS Apple warranties - but that is a long shot

Apple does have a wholly owned subsidiary to handle what operations it does have

How to Contact Us - Apple (INDIA)

I would post the phone number from the top right of that page, but there is a filter running here that prevents most if not all Indian phone numbers from posting due to anti-SPAM efforts

Like Allan said, we here are all user volunteers so what we post is merely reporting what we have learned from participating here, not official Apple policy

Apple Care in India

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.