Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hey, when I add a photo to imovie the quality reduces a lot and the picture looks blurred, what can I do about it? thank you!

hey, when I add a photo to imovie the quality reduces a lot and the picture looks blurred (the picture is with the text, so it's important to be sharp and clear), what can I do about it? thank you!

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 9:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2020 11:59 PM

Often reducing the resolution will cure the blurriness.

Also, try sharing out a project with a couple of photos in it. The blurriness might not carry over to the final product.

Another thing that might cure it is to delete preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the blurriness is resolved.

— Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2020 11:59 PM in response to lomeisilme

Often reducing the resolution will cure the blurriness.

Also, try sharing out a project with a couple of photos in it. The blurriness might not carry over to the final product.

Another thing that might cure it is to delete preferences by opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if the blurriness is resolved.

— Rich

Jan 17, 2020 7:29 AM in response to lomeisilme

Best to post a new topic in a separate post. That way it gets exposed to more users and hopefully increases the number of responses.

The clip may have no sound because the audio codec is not one that iMovie likes. iMovie likes Mp4/AAC. The AAC stands for Advanced Audio Coding.

Also, there have been sound issues reported with the AVCHD video format.

In both instances re-encoding the video clips (the .mts files with AVCHD) to H.264, Mp4/AAC with the free download Handbrake might cure it. You can get Handbrake here:

https://handbrake.fr/

-- Rich

hey, when I add a photo to imovie the quality reduces a lot and the picture looks blurred, what can I do about it? thank you!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.