Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background and Screensaver Settings Not Showing Photo Albums Properly

I have been using an album I specifically made to house photos I'd like rotating for my desktop image for years, since the most recent IOS update (Catalina I believe), the Desktop and Screensaver menu has been acting odd in a couple ways, one not so vital, and one that is my main issue.

1) Below you can see that the options for photo appearance in the drop-down menu are all stacked on each other despite having made a selection.

2) As you can see, the selected album "Background Photos" (consists of 200+ photos) even after waiting ample time for loading, doesn't show any photos available for circulation (although sometimes only one random photo from the album appears). This is the same with any of the other albums on that list, even those with far far fewer photos in it. How can I get my photos back for my desktop?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 5:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2020 7:37 AM

I'm actually realizing now that if I go into the folder on my photos app, by selecting each photo individually and letting the photo load (indicated by a small loading pie on the bottom right) it then appears in the desktop photo settings. Very odd that this would be the reason, but it seems to be working at the moment.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 19, 2020 7:37 AM in response to dialabrain

I'm actually realizing now that if I go into the folder on my photos app, by selecting each photo individually and letting the photo load (indicated by a small loading pie on the bottom right) it then appears in the desktop photo settings. Very odd that this would be the reason, but it seems to be working at the moment.

Jan 19, 2020 7:18 AM in response to mmerino665

I can try. plists are preference lists which have settings for apps, processes etc. On occasion they can become corrupt. It's just one possibility. Removing the screensaver plist, if it is corrupt, may help. Your Mac will create a new non-corrupt plist. If you are worried, you can just move the plist to the Trash, open System Preferences > Desktop & Screen Saver > Screen Saver and test. if it doesn't help, you can always right/control click on the plist in the Trash and choose "Put Back".

Background and Screensaver Settings Not Showing Photo Albums Properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.