Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video not exporting

I have been running into this problem many times. When I put upload to youtube or to files, it starts uploading, and at some point it just stops, without mentioning any error or anything. I just stops. In the beginning it was always halfway through, now it is sometimes a quarter or even less. Please let me know what I can do to solve this, I have already tried so many times!

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2020 8:33 PM

Try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if you can export sucessfully.

— Rich

7 replies

Jan 18, 2020 9:58 PM in response to image1234

image1234,

Error 50 is a rendering error indicating that iMovie is having a problem rendering your movie likely because of some corruption or a bad frame at some point in the project. Or possibly you have insufficient space on your destination drive to contain the movie in which case the render will fail before completed. Or maybe some clip or photo is in some incompatible format.

If you are getting this error, try Edit/Select All, Edit/Copy and paste your project media into a newly created project and try to share from there. If you still get the error, you will need to scroll through your project looking for a flicker or flash or other corruption and cut the corrupt part from the video.

-- Rich

Jan 18, 2020 11:31 PM in response to Rich839

That makes a lot of sense, went to check and then with everything I have tried with the new library and all lost the work. Has the timeline but the photos are not loaded. :(. I think what I will do for the future is render the project at points as I go to make sure no issues and save time and frustration. thanks for the tip, now I understand what the error is I know what to look for.

Jan 19, 2020 7:50 AM in response to image1234

image1234,

You probably can recover your project from the iMovie backups folder. To get there, go to the Finder menu and follow this file path:

Go/Home/Library/Containers/com.apple.iMovieApp/Data/Library/Caches/iMovieBackups

When you get there you will see a list of previous backups of your iMovie library. Click on one that is dated before you lost your media. iMovie will open in that library. Navigate to your project and see if it is populated with your photos.

-- Rich

Jan 19, 2020 8:17 PM in response to Rich839

Awesome advice Rich. I have not done what you mention above as I decided to start over looking for issues such as pixelated pics, or video flaws and saw 2 pics with flaws I did not see before. Took them out and finished 1/3 of the video 51 min long. Exported like a charm with no issues. :)

Thanks again for your advice, really really helpful!

Video not exporting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.